* alloc.c:66: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...'
@ 2006-11-21 15:33 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2006-11-21 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

  newbie alert here.  i'm trying to run one of the simple examples for
systemtap and i'm getting precisely the error described here:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/systemtap/2006-q4/msg00428.html

my current (unadulterated) system configuration is:

  - fully-updated fedora core 6 laptop
  - latest (as of this morning) "git pull" kernel
  - systemtap-0.5.10-1.fc6
  - systemtap-runtime-0.5.10-1.fc6

  should i be manually commenting anything out of alloc.c as suggested
in that thread?  thanks.

rday

* Re: alloc.c:66: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...'
@ 2006-11-21 15:34 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-11-21 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:

>  newbie alert here.  i'm trying to run one of the simple examples for
> systemtap and i'm getting precisely the error described here:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/systemtap/2006-q4/msg00428.html
> [...]

Yeah, this is a known bug, corrected in ... wait for it ... CVS.
We're planning to package fedora updates only a couple of weeks from
now.

> my current (unadulterated) system configuration is: [...]

If you're up for a little bit of adultery (and, running a fresh git
kernel, surely you are!), try building systemtap out of CVS.

- FChE

* Re: alloc.c:66: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...'
@ 2006-11-21 15:36   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2006-11-21 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:
>
> >  newbie alert here.  i'm trying to run one of the simple examples for
> > systemtap and i'm getting precisely the error described here:
> > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/systemtap/2006-q4/msg00428.html
> > [...]
>
> Yeah, this is a known bug, corrected in ... wait for it ... CVS.

so subversion was a little too cutting edge, was it?  :-)

> We're planning to package fedora updates only a couple of weeks from
> now.
>
> > my current (unadulterated) system configuration is: [...]
>
> If you're up for a little bit of adultery (and, running a fresh git
> kernel, surely you are!), try building systemtap out of CVS.

sure, i can give that a shot.  am i right in thinking that this is
just an issue when CONFIG_SMP is selected?  at least, when i peruse
alloc.c, that's what it looks like.

@ 2006-11-21 17:20   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2006-11-21 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:
>
> >  newbie alert here.  i'm trying to run one of the simple examples for
> > systemtap and i'm getting precisely the error described here:
> > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/systemtap/2006-q4/msg00428.html
> > [...]
>
> Yeah, this is a known bug, corrected in ... wait for it ... CVS.
> We're planning to package fedora updates only a couple of weeks from
> now.
> If you're up for a little bit of adultery (and, running a fresh git
> kernel, surely you are!), try building systemtap out of CVS.

ok, just to summarize, i grabbed the latest systemtap CVS, and did

  $ ./configure
  $ make

(after installing elfutils-devel, which was the only elfutils-related
package that was missing on my FC6 system.)

now, i'm assuming that if i "make install", that's going to overwrite
my currently-installed RPMs for systemtap and systemtap-runtime so, to
keep my RPM database clean, would it make sense to first remove those
two RPMs (nothing seems to depend on them), *then* do the make
install?

(am i right in assuming that building and installing systemtap from
scratch is exactly equivalent to installing those two packages?)

@ 2006-11-21 17:33     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-11-21 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: systemtap