* tapset/utrace.stp
@ 2009-01-08  8:29 Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2009-01-08  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

I went to hack on a utrace API tapset to aid my kernel hacking, and I was
surprised to find a file by that name exists.

In fact, it's a file of functions magically referred used by the
translator.  (It unfortunately lacks any comments explaining that's how
it's used.)  I think it would make sense for any code that is magically
required by the translator to be placed someplace obviously different from
normal tapset code.

Perhaps move this file to a subdirectory such as tapset/runtime/?
(Are there any other such files?)

Thanks,
Roland

* Re: tapset/utrace.stp
@ 2009-01-08 14:53 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2009-01-08 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland McGrath; +Cc: systemtap

Roland McGrath <roland@redhat.com> writes:

> I went to hack on a utrace API tapset to aid my kernel hacking, and
> I was surprised to find a file by that name exists.

> In fact, it's a file of functions magically referred used by the
> translator.  (It unfortunately lacks any comments explaining that's how
> it's used.)  [...]

It should get lightly documented and could get moved/renamed without
any ill effect.

- FChE

* Re: tapset/utrace.stp
@ 2009-01-08 19:37 ` David Smith
From: David Smith @ 2009-01-08 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland McGrath; +Cc: systemtap

Roland McGrath wrote:
> I went to hack on a utrace API tapset to aid my kernel hacking, and I was
> surprised to find a file by that name exists.

That's mine, I believe.

> In fact, it's a file of functions magically referred used by the
> translator.  (It unfortunately lacks any comments explaining that's how
> it's used.)  I think it would make sense for any code that is magically
> required by the translator to be placed someplace obviously different from
> normal tapset code.
>
> Perhaps move this file to a subdirectory such as tapset/runtime/?
> (Are there any other such files?)

I'm not aware of other such files.  Certainly the translator calls other
tapset functions, such as user_string() and tid().

Moving the file to a subdirectory such as tapset/runtime could be done
(which would involve modifying the session 'include_path').

Perhaps an easier solution would be to rename it, to something like
'utrace_runtime.stp' or 'utrace_internal.stp'.

Do either of the latter appeal to you?  If so, I'll rename it and
comment the file a bit.

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com

* Re: tapset/utrace.stp
@ 2009-01-09  3:27   ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2009-01-09  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Smith; +Cc: systemtap

> I'm not aware of other such files.  Certainly the translator calls other
> tapset functions, such as user_string() and tid().

Hmm.  Those are another category.  In whatever manner, I just think it
should be made very clear in the tapset sources which names are built into
the translator.

> Moving the file to a subdirectory such as tapset/runtime could be done
> (which would involve modifying the session 'include_path').
>
> Perhaps an easier solution would be to rename it, to something like
> 'utrace_runtime.stp' or 'utrace_internal.stp'.

I'm not picky about the details.  Just that it is something fairly uniform
and very obvious that makes a reader understand what is "pure" tapset code,
and what is special bits with requirements fixed in the translator.

Thanks,
Roland