Hello, 9 листопада 2009 о 20:18 -0500 James Y Knight написав(-ла): > Systemtap was working fine, for symbols in vmlinux, but segfaulted > when trying to probe modules. E.g., the simplest script segfaulted > in the translator. > > probe module("autofs4").function("autofs4_fill_super") {} I never saw systemtap segfaulting. I do not have autofs4 module, but i tried with snd module and it works. What version of systemtap/libelf1/libdw1 do you use? > debug package. Well, that failed, because the files there are > apparently expected to be called: *.ko.debug, but I had a file > called: > /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.31-jknight-1-amd64/kernel/fs/autofs4/ > autofs4.ko > instead. So, I symlinked it to be called autofs4.ko.debug. My bad, I rarely clean the build tree... Still I do not understand why this .debug is needed... I'm going to ask kernel-package or elfutils maintainers to change this... > 3) The debian kernel's debuginfo does "objcopy --only-keep- > debug"...That seems like it shouldn't cause systemtap to blow up, > but it does. I guess that's a known bug? No it is not. At least not for me. > 4) Why does it blow up *differently* depending on whether it found > the file in /usr/lib/debug or /lib/modules? > > 5) Whose bug is it that systemtap doesn't look for > /usr/lib/debug/.../autofs4.ko, but only autofs4.ko.debug? > Apparently this is a difference between debian and Fedora. Fedora > systems append .debug, Debian systems do not. My guess: debian > should be patching their copy of elfutils to not append ".debug"? > But maybe that's an upstream bug, and it should try both by default > (or something). > I dunno. Me too. > > Someone else discovered the ".debug" issue in another program: > http://www.visophyte.org/rev_control/patches/chronicle-recorder/debian-usr-lib-debug-support.patch > And here's the debian reference about how to install debuginfo: > http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-dbg If it is really Fedors's policy to append .debug to file names under /usr/lib/debug (I did not know about that), then I guess Debian elfutils should be modified to not append .debug to kernel modules names to comply with Debian policy. Or hopefuly it can be done upstream. > > > I guess all these except the first are probably bugs in elfutils, > not systemtap, so perhaps I should be reporting it there instead. > But despite what you might think, I actually have no clue about any > of this crap: any clue you might infer from the above has all been > gained by random flailing over the course of the last couple hours. > So I figure it's safer to report here, first and redirect if > requested. :) > > James