* trace over network is supported?
@ 2010-09-09 11:29 Masami Hiramatsu
From: Masami Hiramatsu @ 2010-09-09 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hi,

As far as I know, systemtap still doesn't support
tracing over network (remote tracing), does it?
If so, is there any plan to support it?

Thank you,

--
Masami HIRAMATSU
2nd Dept. Linux Technology Center

* Re: trace over network is supported?
@ 2010-09-09 14:21 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2010-09-09 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masami Hiramatsu; +Cc: systemtap

Masami Hiramatsu <masami.hiramatsu.pt@hitachi.com> writes:

> As far as I know, systemtap still doesn't support tracing over
> network (remote tracing), does it?

One can invoke stap over an ssh or similar connection, so to that
extent, "yes, it can.".  What do you mean exactly?

> If so, is there any plan to support it?

Actually, we are in the planning stages of two or three new orthogonal
efforts in this area.

- FChE

* Re: trace over network is supported?
@ 2010-09-10  6:48   ` Masami Hiramatsu
       [not found]     ` <AANLkTi=w3YfnZhKerWiSsd0RpcgJi61Xufr8JRXJzVO5@mail.gmail.com>
From: Masami Hiramatsu @ 2010-09-10  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: systemtap

(2010/09/09 23:21), Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Masami Hiramatsu <masami.hiramatsu.pt@hitachi.com> writes:
>
>> As far as I know, systemtap still doesn't support tracing over
>> network (remote tracing), does it?
>
> One can invoke stap over an ssh or similar connection, so to that
> extent, "yes, it can.".  What do you mean exactly?

Yeah, I know about tracing over ssh connection, but
that is too heavy to record high-freq system events
(e.g. systemcalls).

I meant that something like trace-data listener and
sender over UDP or TCP.

Thank you,

@ 2010-09-10  7:46       ` Tim Beaulen
From: Tim Beaulen @ 2010-09-10  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Masami Hiramatsu
<masami.hiramatsu.pt@hitachi.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I know about tracing over ssh connection, but
> that is too heavy to record high-freq system events
> (e.g. systemcalls).
>
> I meant that something like trace-data listener and
> sender over UDP or TCP.

You can use bash redirection too I guess.
example: put all the stap output to a tcp connection:
stap ... &> /dev/tcp/hostname/port

@ 2010-09-10 13:21     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2010-09-10 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Masami Hiramatsu; +Cc: systemtap

Hi, Masami -

> > One can invoke stap over an ssh or similar connection, so to that
> > extent, "yes, it can.".  What do you mean exactly?
>
> Yeah, I know about tracing over ssh connection, but
> that is too heavy to record high-freq system events
> (e.g. systemcalls).
>
> I meant that something like trace-data listener and
> sender over UDP or TCP.

If the heaviness comes from the encryption provided by ssh, then one
can tie stap straight to tcp/udp sockets with wrappers like netcat.
Beyond some copy-elimination a la splice(2), do you think there is
much to be done?

- FChE