On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 02:18:26PM -0600, David Smith wrote: > There is nothing that those 2 functions do that can crash the kernel. > Those functions (should be) always inlined. I'd guess the problem isn't > those two functions, but the function that is calling them. Yes, I've figured as much that the crashes come from places where these are inlined. But I had't thought about using .call; will do that. > Another problem I see with your testing methodology is that you are > using xen. I don't think we've used xen in a while, but the xen kernel > always gave us different results than a regular kernel. I'd test on > bare metal or in a kvm instance. Timo uses Xen, but I'm running the tests in KVM. > I'll make one final comment here. In my mind the blacklist is a > semi-temporary thing (although we don't typically remove functions from > it). The real fix here is to get the crashing functions marked with > '__kprobes' in the upstream kernel. This fixes the problem for all > kprobes users, not just systemtap. Makes sense to me. Sami