* Jon VanAlten [2012-08-08 16:38]: [...] > > Hi Lukas, > > I've had a look at the patch, and the rest of the thread (especially the > tapset you posted, which made things a LOT more clear so thanks for that). > I hope that you'll continue to refine the tapset and contribute that as > well so that us java hackers who are brave enough to play with Systemtap > have the nice friendly probe names and variables to work with! Thanks for taking a look, I'll make sure to include it in future revisions, ideally I'll have a gc_details.stp.in file that will have the .so path change based on the system it's being compiled for. (similar to the hotspot{,_jni}.stp.in and jstack.stp.in files already included) > > The patch itself seems fine, although I'll just have to trust you that the > probes are in the right place as I'm not really a hotspot hacker myself. > Really I would hope that someone who is more familiar with the GC code > base will comment from that perspective. > > I assume that none of these probes require any special VM args to function? > A related question, and this might be hard to answer being rather open > ended, but are you aware of any VM args that would affect/interfere with > the functioning of these probes? The only arguments that I can think of that will immediately effect these probes are: -XX:+UseSerialGC -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+UseParallelOldGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGc -XX:+UseG1GC which will force the JVM to use the designated type of garbage collection. There may be more I'm missing (please let me know if there are). > > There is a begin and and end probe for some types of collection and even > phases within collection, so it seems odd to me that for G1 stop-the-world > collection there is not. Am I missing something? My thought in adding the begin/end probes was to be able to track parallel operations and tie a specific pid to an collection/scavenge to an object. That wouldn't be needed in serial operation. However, now that I think about it, it could be useful to mark the beginning and end of 'serial' collections from a timing perspective, and its trivial to add (I'll include it in a revised patch). > > Other than that; great start, this definitely has stuff interesting from a > Thermostat perspective and the potential for more :D > Thanks for the comments, Lukas [1] - http://dacapobench.org/