From: William Cohen <wcohen@redhat.com>
To: Martin Cermak <mcermak@redhat.com>
Cc: wcohen@redhat.com, systemtap@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Systmetap Testsuite results and areas to fix
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 14:08:00 -0400	[thread overview]

On 11/3/23 10:58, Martin Cermak wrote:
> On  Thu  2023-11-02  13:48 , William Cohen via Systemtap wrote:
>> Overall on x86_64 RHEL8/RHEL9/F38/rawhide the systemtap testsuite
>> complete.  There are still on the order of 1500 failures on the x86_64
>> machine, which is more than desired.
>>
>> I went looking for failures/issues in the testsuite that cause multiple
>> failures in the the test results.  For example previously fixed
>> runtime to avoid conflicts with added glibc functions to allow dyninst
>> code to build without error on Fedora rawhide and turn off gcc warning
>> about string ops for the syscall tests to allow the test to be built.
>>
>> - A number of the syscall test fail because the syscall string
>>   argument is not properly fetched and printed.  This appears to be a
>>   large portion of the 700 syscall.exp failures.
>>

>> - About 200 of the "listing_mode" tests fail.  They all reported:
>>
>>   received: "child process exited abnormally"
>>
>>   Going to investigate this more closely.

I tracked this down to DWARF5 call site information being different than DWARF4 (pr31028).  A fix has been pushed upstream for this and should eliminate these (and some other failures).

>> - About 150 of the tracepoints_list tests fail.  Most are reporting
>>   "not found by systemtap" but a few ('dlm', sof', and 'sof_int') fail
>>   compilation because headers are not found.
>>

>> - Approximately 130 failures in the tapset_functions.exp tests.
>>   This looks like an issue with the test itself rather than
>>   systemtap.  A lot of messages of the form:
>>
>>   FAIL: tapset_functions_stress (list_values(unknown))
>>   FAIL: tapset_functions_stress (default_value(unknown))
>
> I've looked into this one.  I've found some issues there, but
> none of them appeared to be a systemtap bug.  After checking with
> Frank on the channel, however, I've dropped this testcase entirely.
>
> m.

The elimination of tapset_functions.exp test and addition of the DWARF5 callee will reduce the number of FAILs significantly.

-Will>>