* libdwfl failure?
@ 2006-01-11  3:24 Michael K. Dolan Jr.
From: Michael K. Dolan Jr. @ 2006-01-11  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SystemTAP

I get the following errors when trying to execute a tap script... this
happens with just about any tap file I use...

Any ideas?

localhost bin # ./stap test.stp -v
Created temporary directory "/tmp/stapMvpywO"
Searched
'/usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset/2.6.14-gentoo-r5mdolan/i686/*.stp',
match count 0
Searched
'/usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset/2.6.14-gentoo-r5mdolan/*.stp', match
count 2
Searched '/usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset/2.6.14-gentoo/i686/*.stp',
match count 0
Searched '/usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset/2.6.14-gentoo/*.stp', match
count 0
Searched '/usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset/2.6/i686/*.stp', match count 0
Searched '/usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset/2.6/*.stp', match count 0
Searched '/usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset/i686/*.stp', match count 0
Searched '/usr/local/share/systemtap/tapset/*.stp', match count 8
Pass 1: parsed user script and 10 library script(s).
semantic error: libdwfl failure (dwfl_linux_kernel_report_kernel): No
such file or directory
         while: resolving probe point kernel.function("do_execve")
parsed 'sys_open' -> func 'sys_open'
semantic error: cannot find kernel debuginfo
         while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_open")
parsed 'sys_read' -> func 'sys_read'
semantic error: cannot find kernel debuginfo
         while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_read")
parsed 'sys_write' -> func 'sys_write'
semantic error: cannot find kernel debuginfo
         while: resolving probe point kernel.function("sys_write")
Pass 2: analyzed user script.  0 probe(s), 0 function(s), 1 global(s).
Pass 2: analysis failed.  Try again with '-v' (verbose) option.
Running rm -rf /tmp/stapMvpywO

* Re: libdwfl failure?
@ 2006-01-14  3:11 ` Michael K. Dolan Jr.
From: Michael K. Dolan Jr. @ 2006-01-14  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SystemTAP

Stone, Joshua I wrote:

>Michael K. Dolan Jr. wrote:
>

>>I get the following errors when trying to execute a tap script... this
>>happens with just about any tap file I use...
>>

>Likely you are missing the debuginfo for your kernel.  From the README:
>
>Tips :
>------
>- Systemtap looks for the debug info in these locations
>  /boot/vmlinux-`uname -r`
>  /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/`uname -r`/vmlinux
>  /lib/modules/`uname -r`/vmlinux
>
>So make sure that you have vmlinux in one of those locations.
>

>All- would it be hard to output a better error message, instead of "No
>such file or directory"?
>

>Josh

FYI, I got it to work using a symlink

With Gentoo, I had to drop a symlink in /lib/modules/uname -r/

vmlinux -> /usr/src/linux/vmlinux

SystemTap officially works on Gentoo. Ran a few test scripts and
everything works.

* RE: libdwfl failure?
@ 2006-01-12  2:58 ` Roland McGrath
From: Roland McGrath @ 2006-01-12  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stone, Joshua I; +Cc: Michael K. Dolan Jr., SystemTAP

> The search path is defined by the elfutils library, so I'm going to
> refer this question back to the list.

The library already allows more flexibility than the translator uses.  If
we get clear on exactly what controls we want available to tell the
translator where to look for kernel and module binaries, the any details
can be easily changed as necessary in the library to facilitate it.  If
there is not already one, please file a BZ item for allowing switches to
the translator to specify where to look for binaries.

Thanks,
Roland

* RE: libdwfl failure?
@ 2006-01-11 22:03 Stone, Joshua I
From: Stone, Joshua I @ 2006-01-11 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael K. Dolan Jr.; +Cc: SystemTAP

Michael K. Dolan Jr. wrote:
>is it possible to change this?
>
>my vmlinux is in /lib/modules/'uname -r'/build/vmlinux

The search path is defined by the elfutils library, so I'm going to
refer this question back to the list.  In the mean time, you can just
create a symbolic link in one of the existing search paths.

Josh

* RE: libdwfl failure?
@ 2006-01-11  3:54 Stone, Joshua I
From: Stone, Joshua I @ 2006-01-11  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)