From: Nathan DeBardeleben <ndebard@lanl.gov>
To: Hien Nguyen <hien@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "systemtap@sources.redhat.com" <systemtap@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Evaluating SystemTap for Network Response Times
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:23:00 -0000	[thread overview]

I appreciate all the help getting my feet off the ground.  What you sent
me works perfectly, however, I want to understand it a bit more (of course).
I guess I have some basic questions about ST.  For instance, I tried
running the 'top2.stp' David Sperry included in the list and that gives
me errors about resolving kernel.syscall.*.  I'm guessing it has
something to do with a syscall tapset, but where do I go about getting
those?  And further more, how do I know I need them?

What really is a 'tapset'?  Is it just a collection of useful functions
that users might want to call that you put into a nice location so as to
keep from copying the code raw into each script that needs it?  Or is it
something more?

And when I look at David's output it doesn't look like he pointed at an
include directory.  Just really confused.

I know, lots of questions and I'm sure questions that would be in a nice
document if this weren't a project under such heavy development.

Thanks all.  I apologize for the newbie questions, I'll get there soon. :)

-- Nathan
Correspondence
Nathan DeBardeleben, Ph.D.
Los Alamos National Laboratory