* error: config systemtap-060401 under fedora5 !
@ 2006-04-02 14:31 Kevin Jia
From: Kevin Jia @ 2006-04-02 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

# ./configure --with-elfutils=/usr/local/bin
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error:
C compiler cannot create executables

why?

* Re: error: config systemtap-060401 under fedora5 !
@ 2006-04-02 14:50 ` Eugene Teo
From: Eugene Teo @ 2006-04-02 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Jia; +Cc: systemtap

Kevin Jia wrote:
> # ./configure --with-elfutils=/usr/local/bin

Actually, all you have to do is to download the latest elfutils
snapshot, patch it with elfutils-portability patch, and then point
--with-elfutils to the elfutils-NNNN directory.

> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error:
> C compiler cannot create executables
>
> why?

Do you have binutils/gcc/glibc-headers installed? Remember to rpm -e
systemtap, to make sure you have the latest systemtap you are compiling.

Eugene
--
eteo redhat.com  ph: +65 6490 4142  http://www.kernel.org/~eugeneteo
gpg fingerprint:  D51D 2633 8DAC 04DB 7265  9BB8 5883 6DAA A6D1 2F80

* Re: error: config systemtap-060401 under fedora5 !
@ 2006-04-02 16:00 ` William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2006-04-02 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Jia; +Cc: systemtap

Kevin Jia wrote:
> # ./configure --with-elfutils=/usr/local/bin
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error:
> C compiler cannot create executables
>
> why?

This sound suspiciously like a problem that I ran across with a NCSU
student when trying to setup systemtap on his machine last week. The
executables in /usr/local/bin (ld etc.) do not work with the default gcc
compiler.  I would suggest removing those newly installed elfutils in
/usr/local/bin. And using the configure method that Eugene Teo mentioned:

Actually, all you have to do is to download the latest elfutils
snapshot, patch it with elfutils-portability patch, and then point
--with-elfutils to the elfutils-NNNN directory.

-Will