* Re: Using systemtap to look at futexs
@ 2006-05-16 21:57 Frank Ch. Eigler
       [not found] ` <446A4D7F.5010706@am.sony.com>
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-05-16 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

wcohen wrote:

> [...] probe syscall.futex
> {
> 	printf("pid=%d exec=%s sys_futex(%s)\n", pid(), execname(), argstr)
> }
>
> probe syscall.futex.return
> {
> 	printf("pid=%d exec=%s sys_futex()=%s\n", pid(), execname(), retstr)
> } [...]

Given the sheer number of such scripts that are almost the same, how
about working out a generalization?  How about a tapset that includes
a common trace function (unless the LKET scripts already include
this).  Or a shell script to generate the systemtap scripts?  Or
another command-line-argument substitution mechanism?

- FChE

* Re: Using systemtap to look at futexs
       [not found]   ` <20060516222913.GH17707@redhat.com>
@ 2006-05-16 22:40     ` Tim Bird
From: Tim Bird @ 2006-05-16 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: systemtap

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Hi -
>
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 03:09:03PM -0700, Tim Bird wrote:
>
>> [...]  Aside from improved ease-of-development, it could be
>> beneficial to have a standardized output format, such that the data
>> could be used with other trace presentation and analysis tools (like
>> lttv from LTT or kd from KFT).
>
> One can write functions in the scripting language to format trace data
> in any reasonable format.

Yes, but my point is that outputting a known, standardized format
(as opposed to "any reasonable format") could have side benefits.
If you're going to write helper functions for the output, a nice
side effect of the regularization of the handling would also be
a regularization of the formatting, with the possibility to make
the data more widely usable.

> (Plus one can write scripting language code
> to perform some of the analysis live that these trace tools do after
> the fact.)

Yes, some.  Is there a visualization tool for SystemTap data?
 -- Tim

P.S. Sorry, my original comment didn't go to the list because
I forgot to reply-all. I hope it's OK to put the thread back
on-list.

=============================
Tim Bird
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Electronics
=============================

* Re: Using systemtap to look at futexs
@ 2006-05-16 23:16       ` Hien Nguyen
From: Hien Nguyen @ 2006-05-16 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Bird; +Cc: systemtap

Tim Bird wrote:

> Is there a visualization tool for SystemTap data?
> -- Tim

We are working on the systemtap gui tool. There are two parts for this
tool, the IDE, and data visualization. We are going to  release the
first  code drop  for the IDE part in the near future and start working
on the visualization part soon.

Hien.

* Re: Using systemtap to look at futexs
@ 2006-05-16 23:16       ` Vara Prasad
From: Vara Prasad @ 2006-05-16 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Bird; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, systemtap

Tim Bird wrote:

>Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>

> [...]
>

>Yes, some.  Is there a visualization tool for SystemTap data?

We are developing a GUI interface to SystemTap. We have plans to emit
xml data out that should make it easy for other visualization tools to
present the data.

@ 2006-05-16 13:43 William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2006-05-16 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SystemTAP; +Cc: Gavin Romig-Koch

Monday I went to lunch with Gavin Romig-Koch. Gavin works in Red Hat
support. While we were talking he mentioned trying to solve a customer
problem that appeared to be caused by futex. An attempt was made to use
GDB to track futex operations from userspace. However, that really
slowed down the machine and never got the to reported problem. Gavin
thought that SystemTap might be useful in diagnosing this problem. This
morning I wrote a quick script to print out futex information while the
system is running. I don't know whether this would identify the specific
problem Gavin mentioned.

-Will

# futex.stp
#