* did anyone succeed to use systemtap on SLES9-SP3 ?
@ 2006-05-25 10:10 Gui,Jian
From: Gui,Jian @ 2006-05-25 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

I'm trying to use systemtap on SLES9-SP3/ppc64 for some reason. Its
kernel is 2.6.5-7.244.

I installed it successfully but when I ran
  stap -vv -e 'probe begin { log("here") }',
it always failed during the compilation for the lack of
<linux/hardirq.h>.

This file is included in "runtime.h", but it doesn't exist in
2.6.5-7.244.
Another header file <asm/hardirq.h> is there, but it cannot make
systemtap work either.

Did anyone ever succeed to use systemtap in SLES9-SP3? or any idea
about this?

Thanks.

Gui, Jian

* Re: did anyone succeed to use systemtap on SLES9-SP3 ?
@ 2006-05-25 11:13 ` Jose R. Santos
From: Jose R. Santos @ 2006-05-25 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gui,Jian; +Cc: systemtap

Gui,Jian wrote:

>I'm trying to use systemtap on SLES9-SP3/ppc64 for some reason. Its
>kernel is 2.6.5-7.244.
>
>I installed it successfully but when I ran
>  stap -vv -e 'probe begin { log("here") }',
>it always failed during the compilation for the lack of
><linux/hardirq.h>.
>
>This file is included in "runtime.h", but it doesn't exist in
>2.6.5-7.244.
>Another header file <asm/hardirq.h> is there, but it cannot make
>systemtap work either.

Kprobes in 2.6.5 are a backport from later kernels and the differences
between 2.6.5 and 2.6.9 are substantial.  Im not surprise that SystemTap
does not work with stock SLES9 kernels.

>Did anyone ever succeed to use systemtap in SLES9-SP3? or any idea
>about this?

I tried installing SystemTap on SLES9 with newer kernels a while ago and
found that it doesn't work at all even if you use a more modern kernel
from kernel.org.  It seem like a problem with elfutils and gcc-3.3.  I
verified this using my Debian box and compiling  SystemTap with various
compilers.  Elfutils seem to require gcc-3.4 or higher in order to work
correctly and SLES9 uses gcc-3.3.3.

After a while I just gave up.

-JRS