* [Fwd: Fw: [Fwd: [Fastboot] [RFC]Explanation of Partial dump 3 (analyzingkernel  debug information)]]
@ 2006-08-07 17:00 Vara Prasad
From: Vara Prasad @ 2006-08-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap; +Cc: kexec-kdump-list, vgoyal

Looks like my earlier attempt to forward this to the systemtap mailing
list failed, hope this time it will succeed.

I saw a following question regarding libdwarf usage in systemtap in the
kdump mailing list. I am thinking there are folks in the systemtap
mailing list who has an answer to Vivek's question below.

[...]

 > > > Is there any reason that makedumpfile needs to be statically
 > > linked?  It would
 > > > seem to me, looking over this code, that this would be cleaner,
 > > orgizationally
 > > > speaking, if I just separated the libdwarf code out into its own
 > > package, and
 > > > make kexec-tools (and consequently the makedumpfile utility)
 > > dependent on that
 > > > libdwarf package.
 > > >
 > > > Linda, and reason that we can't add another package into RHEL5?
Or have we
 > > > missed the cutoff for that?
 > > >

 > > SystemTAP also uses libdwarf and I think SystemTAP is being shipped
with
 > >   RHEL5. So I hope libdwarf package should already be in. (Assuming
that
 > > systemtap folks have created a separate package and have not
 > > encapsulated the library in system package and linked to it
statically).

 > > Thanks
 > > Vivek

* Re: [Fwd: Fw: [Fwd: [Fastboot] [RFC]Explanation of Partial dump 3 (analyzingkernel  debug information)]]
@ 2006-08-07 20:12 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-08-07 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vara Prasad; +Cc: systemtap, kexec-kdump-list, vgoyal

Vara forwarded:

> [...]  SystemTAP also uses libdwarf and I think SystemTAP is being
> shipped with RHEL5. So I hope libdwarf package should already be in.

It's a different libdwarf.  The one you are referring to is from
http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea/dwarf.html; the one we use is a
reimplementation within a larger library called elfutils.

> (Assuming that systemtap folks have created a separate package and
> have not encapsulated the library in system package and linked to it
> statically).

As it turns out, we use a bundled elfutils for older RHEL builds
and an unbundled (system) elfutils for Fedora builds of systemtap.

- FChE

* Re: [Fwd: Fw: [Fwd: [Fastboot] [RFC]Explanation of Partial dump 3  (analyzingkernel  debug information)]]
@ 2006-08-07 20:58   ` Vara Prasad
From: Vara Prasad @ 2006-08-07 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: systemtap, kexec-kdump-list, vgoyal

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

>Vara forwarded:
>

>>[...]  SystemTAP also uses libdwarf and I think SystemTAP is being
>>shipped with RHEL5. So I hope libdwarf package should already be in.
>>

>It's a different libdwarf.  The one you are referring to is from
>http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea/dwarf.html; the one we use is a
>reimplementation within a larger library called elfutils.

Currently they are using different libdwarf but the idea is to use the
same libdwarf that we are using. Roland, responded to me in private
saying he is talking to kdump folks in making them use our libdwarf.

>>(Assuming that systemtap folks have created a separate package and
>>have not encapsulated the library in system package and linked to it
>>statically).
>>

>As it turns out, we use a bundled elfutils for older RHEL builds
>and an unbundled (system) elfutils for Fedora builds of systemtap.

I am guessing as far as kdump team is concerned their main focus is RHEL
5 and above hence they should have unbundled libdwarf similar to Fedora
available for them to link with.