While investigating a possible compiler bug on the s390 affecting __stp_estimate_cpufreq(), I came to the conclusion that this function made little sense on the s390. Both get_cycles() and udelay() use the TOD clock. On the s390 the TOD is always at a known frequency on all models. The following patch to _stp_gettimeofday_ns() simply converts get_cycles()'s return value into nanoseconds and it has the side effect of avoiding the gcc bug :) The per-cpu timer values are also not needed on the s390 as all cpus use the same TOD clock. However, I did not remove this code for ease of maintenance. -- David Wilder IBM Linux Technology Center Beaverton, Oregon, USA dwilder@us.ibm.com (503)578-3789