From: Vara Prasad <prasadav@us.ibm.com>
To: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com>
Cc: Mike Mason <mmlnx@us.ibm.com>, systemtap@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: marking tapset files
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:30:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

>Hi -
>

>On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 08:14:11AM -0700, Mike Mason wrote:
>

>>I like the idea of adding the comment.  Mechanical enforcement would be
>>even better.  Perhaps a keyword at the top of the file that marks it as
>>part of a specific tapset.  [...]
>>

>That's a possibility.  Short of language extensions though, the
>translator could parse the tapset scripts first, then warn about
>duplication.  Heck, it could even track the visited dev/inode pairs in
>struct stapfile, and know if the same file has been seen twice.
>
>- FChE

Yes, translator can find out if same file is visted twice but with that
can we give a meaningful error message to the user. I think what is
needed here is when someone tries to execute a tapset they should gate
message saying you can not execute a tapset library directly, similar to
an error message given if we execute a library file. It would be even
better if we can do something with our naming so that users can say the
difference between the library and the end user script and avoid doing
that mistake in the first place.