* Anyone tried SystemTap on the Cell BE?
@ 2006-10-30 18:45 Nathan DeBardeleben
From: Nathan DeBardeleben @ 2006-10-30 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

I've been using SystemTap for a while now on some standard Fedora
machines but am starting some new work on some Cell Broadband Engine
machines and was wondering if anyone has anything to report about
SystemTap and kprobes on this processor.  As I gather I'll need to use a
kernel.org kernel patched with Cell-specific bits that haven't yet found
their way into the main-line kernel yet.  So that means no nice yumming
of the debuginfo package.

Surely with the companies involved in SystemTap there would have been
some effort in this direction by now on the Cell.  I'm curious if
anyone's found some particularly fun probe points or problems getting it
to work.

Thanks!

--
-- Nathan
Correspondence

* Re: Anyone tried SystemTap on the Cell BE?
@ 2006-10-30 19:43 ` Vara Prasad
From: Vara Prasad @ 2006-10-30 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan DeBardeleben; +Cc: systemtap

Nathan DeBardeleben wrote:

> I've been using SystemTap for a while now on some standard Fedora
> machines but am starting some new work on some Cell Broadband Engine
> machines and was wondering if anyone has anything to report about
> SystemTap and kprobes on this processor.  As I gather I'll need to use
> a kernel.org kernel patched with Cell-specific bits that haven't yet
> found their way into the main-line kernel yet.  So that means no nice
> yumming of the debuginfo package.
>
> Surely with the companies involved in SystemTap there would have been
> some effort in this direction by now on the Cell.  I'm curious if
> anyone's found some particularly fun probe points or problems getting
> it to work.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Nathan,

To my knowledge no one has tried kprobes on Cell processor and i don't
even know if it works.

bye,
Vara Prasad