* Supported architectures
@ 2006-11-12  1:13 Eugeniy Meshcheryakov
From: Eugeniy Meshcheryakov @ 2006-11-12  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hello,

Currently Debian package for systemtap builds on all release
architectures, but I think it is not useful on some of them. So, I am
going to drop support of those architectures.

I cannot find list of supported architectures in systemtap's source or
website, so I'll try to guess.

src/runtime contains the following files:
stack-x86_64.c
stack-ia64.c
stack-ppc64.c
stack-s390.c

Are that all of supported architectures? Is it possible to use systemtap
on 64-bit ppc system with 32-bit userspace (including stap, staprun,
lket-b2a ...)? stack-s390.c contains code that prints registers content
using 16 hexadecimal digits. Is it really support for s390x? Or both?
Is it possible to use 31-bit version of stap with 64-bit kernel in this
case?

--
Eugeniy Meshcheryakov

* Re: Supported architectures
@ 2006-11-13 17:14 ` David Wilder
From: David Wilder @ 2006-11-13 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eugeniy Meshcheryakov; +Cc: systemtap

Eugeniy Meshcheryakov wrote:

>stack-s390.c contains code that prints registers content
>using 16 hexadecimal digits. Is it really support for s390x? Or both?
>Is it possible to use 31-bit version of stap with 64-bit kernel in this
>case?

We support s390x (64bit) kernels but not 31-bit kernels.  Stap
executables should be 64 bit only.

--
David Wilder
IBM Linux Technology Center

* Re: Supported architectures
@ 2006-11-13 20:13 ` Vara Prasad
From: Vara Prasad @ 2006-11-13 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eugeniy Meshcheryakov; +Cc: systemtap, guanglei, ananth

Eugeniy Meshcheryakov wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Currently Debian package for systemtap builds on all release
>architectures, but I think it is not useful on some of them. So, I am
>going to drop support of those architectures.
>
>I cannot find list of supported architectures in systemtap's source or
>website, so I'll try to guess.

O.K, good feedback we will try to add a section on the web site to
indicate supported architectures, thanks.

>src/runtime contains the following files:
>stack-x86_64.c
>stack-ia64.c
>stack-ppc64.c
>stack-s390.c

We also support regular 32bit x86.

>Are that all of supported architectures?

Do you have interest for any other architectures support?

>Is it possible to use systemtap
>on 64-bit ppc system with 32-bit userspace (including stap, staprun,
>lket-b2a ...)?

I believe one should able to run 32bit user space tools although kernel
has support only for 64bit PPC. Guanglei can you confirm if b2a tool
works fine if built in 32 bit mode? Ananth/Amit have we tested 32bit
user space tools support for systemtap?

Although IBM usually recommends building user space tools in 32 bit mode
even for 64bit PPC kernels for performance reasons in this particular
case we don't see a big advantage of it, so if you want to support only
one version of user space tools you can choose to build all the user
space tools only in 64bit and no need to build 32bit.

>stack-s390.c contains code that prints registers content
>using 16 hexadecimal digits. Is it really support for s390x? Or both?
>Is it possible to use 31-bit version of stap with 64-bit kernel in this
>case?

Yes technically it is possible to use 31 bit user space tools with 64bit
kernel but systemtap is not tested that way at this time. As Dave
replied you only need to carry 64bit user space tools for systemtap on
s390 at this time.

* Re: Supported architectures
@ 2006-11-13 23:08   ` Martin Hunt
From: Martin Hunt @ 2006-11-13 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vara Prasad; +Cc: Eugeniy Meshcheryakov, systemtap, guanglei, ananth

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 11:55 -0800, Vara Prasad wrote:

> >Is it possible to use systemtap
> >on 64-bit ppc system with 32-bit userspace (including stap, staprun,
> >lket-b2a ...)?
> >
> I believe one should able to run 32bit user space tools although kernel
> has support only for 64bit PPC. Guanglei can you confirm if b2a tool
> works fine if built in 32 bit mode? Ananth/Amit have we tested 32bit
> user space tools support for systemtap?

stap can and is currently built 32 bit on ppc64. I recently changed
staprun so it is compiled in 64-bit mode. I did this to simplify the
data exchange between staprun and the kernel where addresses and
structures are passed from userspace to the kernel.

Martin

* Re: Supported architectures
@ 2006-11-14  2:17   ` Li Guanglei
From: Li Guanglei @ 2006-11-14  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vara Prasad; +Cc: Eugeniy Meshcheryakov, systemtap, ananth

Vara Prasad wrote:
> Eugeniy Meshcheryakov wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Currently Debian package for systemtap builds on all release
>> architectures, but I think it is not useful on some of them. So, I am
>> going to drop support of those architectures.
>>
>> I cannot find list of supported architectures in systemtap's source or
>> website, so I'll try to guess.
>>

> O.K, good feedback we will try to add a section on the web site to
> indicate supported architectures, thanks.
>
>> src/runtime contains the following files:
>> stack-x86_64.c
>> stack-ia64.c
>> stack-ppc64.c
>> stack-s390.c
>>

> We also support regular 32bit x86.
>
>> Are that all of supported architectures?
> Do you have interest for any other architectures support?
>
>> Is it possible to use systemtap
>> on 64-bit ppc system with 32-bit userspace (including stap, staprun,
>> lket-b2a ...)?
> I believe one should able to run 32bit user space tools although kernel
> has support only for 64bit PPC. Guanglei can you confirm if b2a tool
> works fine if built in 32 bit mode? Ananth/Amit have we tested 32bit
> user space tools support for systemtap?

lket-b2a will be compiled as 32-bit for 64-bit PPC. I tried to compile
it in 64-bit mode, and it could work without mysql support. I will
install a 64-bit mysql-devel package later to check that if it could
work in 64-bit mode.
s390 requires all tools to be 64-bit mode, right?

- Guanglei