From: William Cohen <wcohen@redhat.com>
To: Quentin Barnes <qbarnes@urbana.css.mot.com>
Cc: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com>,
	David Wilder <dwilder@us.ibm.com>,
	        systemtap@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: testsuite and hardcoded timeouts
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 19:03:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Quentin Barnes wrote:
>> Quentin Barnes <qbarnes@urbana.css.mot.com> writes:
>>
>>> [...]
>>> Ah, maybe there is some middle ground here.  Instead of putting the
>>> effort into figuring out some portable method for dynamic timeouts,
>>> just change the behavior for a timeout to be user-settable [...]
>>
>> It can be even easier than that.  dejagnu's "timeout" tcl variable is
>> exactly the default timeout duration in seconds.
>
> The "timeout" variable is an expect feature.  It is already set
> in stap_run.exp and stap_run2.exp, but timeouts are also manually
> specified in various expect statements sprinkled through the
> testsuite.  Those are the ones that cause me the most headaches.
> Otherwise, tinkering with just two files would be trivial.
>
>> The .exp files under
>> testsuite/config or even testsuite/lib could set this global variable
>> based on the "ishost" predicate - leave it for i686, double it for
>> s390x, dedicule (!) it for arm.  Then we just need to police the test
>> cases to avoid messing with this value.
>
> It's not that simple.  For example, my setup is really, really slow
> because it is using NFS mounted root and swap with a small amount of
> RAM.  Another ARM system could run easily 5x-10x faster than mine
> with just more memory or a real hard disk.
>
> Rather than create an "ishost" rule, I suggested that what would
> probably be better is to use the MHz or BogoMIPS number from
> /proc/cpuinfo.  But even that's a heuristic because it only takes
> in account the CPU speed, not the system speed that can be choked
> due to I/O limitations.

Seems like it would make more sense to have a environment variable that the test
timeouts are computed off of. Make all the tests use that value. It should be
fairly simple to grep for the explicit timeout changes and fix those.

> What I'd like to know is if it is really necessary to have fatal
> timeouts.  How often does running the test suite truly hang up
> where the timeout feature gets it unstuck?
>
> I've found that if my system has taken too long, it's due to a bug
> and the kernel is no longer stable.  However, I don't work on the
> stap translator.  I suspect bugs in it are what causes recoverable
> test hang ups to exist.

It is possible that a probe doesn't fire and cause a systemtap script to exit.
In that case things could be hung. Really do need to have the explicit timeouts
to move on. Want to get coverage on the tests. Better to give up on a test
taking way, way too long, FAIL it, and get the rest of the test run than it is
to get hung up on that problem test.

-Will