* SystemTap Instruction Tracing Proposal
@ 2007-06-05 16:04 Dave Nomura
From: Dave Nomura @ 2007-06-05 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap; +Cc: James Keniston

The data produced by an instruction tracing tool is used by other
performance analysis tools to detect pipeline performance problems and
for tuning highly optimized code. We feel that having instruction
tracing integrated with SystemTap would make it more widely available in
various Linux distributions.

Requirements
o support both single step and branch tracing modes
o single step traces would also collect load/store trace data
o ability to trace user code including system calls into kernel space
o support for tracing single and mulitiple processes
o ability for user to turn on/off tracing for specific pid or group of pids
o pluggable post processing component to allow formatting of trace data
for a variety of performance analysis tools

We have been developing a somewhat brute-force SystemTap script based on
the Performace Inspector ITRACE tool to familiarize ourselves with
SystemTap and to explore some of the issues/problems that may need
further SystemTap support.
We are making this proposal as a result of this prototyping work and the
discussions we've had with some members of the SystemTap community.

Is there sufficient interest in the SystemTap community in having an
instruction tracing capability as described above to warrant futher
discussion and investigation?

--
Dave Nomura
LTC Linux Power Toolchain

* Re: SystemTap Instruction Tracing Proposal
@ 2007-06-07 22:05 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2007-06-07 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dcnltc; +Cc: systemtap, James Keniston

Dave Nomura <dcnltc@us.ibm.com> writes:

> [...]  Is there sufficient interest in the SystemTap community in
> having an instruction tracing capability as described above to
> warrant futher discussion and investigation?

Certainly, I'm looking forward to it!  As you go, please check to what
extent the necessary changes can build upon, or at the least avoid
conflict with, the perfmon2 code base.

- FChE

* Re: SystemTap Instruction Tracing Proposal
@ 2007-06-08  8:19 ` Alex Iribarren
From: Alex Iribarren @ 2007-06-08  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dcnltc; +Cc: systemtap, James Keniston