* measuring disk IO / throughput?
@ 2007-06-16 19:59 Tomasz Chmielewski
From: Tomasz Chmielewski @ 2007-06-16 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Does anyone have a handy script to measure disk IO / throughput?

I'm testing a filesystem, but it seems to me that something strange
happens, and much more data than expected gets to the disk (i.e.,
writing 1 MB file is really 10 MB of data sent to the device).

I tried iostat-scsi.stp from the wiki, but it doesn't work for me (it
doesn't work for PATA-over-SATA and USB block devices, does it?), and it
doesn't report data volume.

Ideally, I'd like to see a script which outputs this kind of information
for all or chosen disks:

Already in iostat-scsi.stp:

- blocks read
- blocks written
- blocks read/s
- blocks written/s

This is what I'm looking for (for all kinds of block devices, not just
SCSI):

- kB read
- kB written
- kB read/s
- kB written/s

Would be nice to have:

- read requests
- write requests
- read requests/s
- write requests/s

Anyone?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-06-16 19:59 UTC | newest]