* Systemtap Eclipse Editor
@ 2008-09-09 22:03 Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2008-09-09 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

For various reasons I started hacking on a Systemtap editor in Eclipse:

http://picobot.org/wordpress/?p=31

Mainly (and mostly entirely for) tapset auto-completion. However I've
been trying to contact the folks at the UI at:

http://stapgui.sourceforge.net/

Too see if that project is still being maintained, and if there is some
useful crossover.  So if you folks are around, lets talk. Too be sure I
want this editor to remain firmly a part of the Eclipse IDE and not a
RCP  application.

Regards

Phil Muldoon

* Re: Systemtap Eclipse Editor
@ 2008-09-10 20:52 ` anithra
From: anithra @ 2008-09-10 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Muldoon; +Cc: systemtap

Hi Phil,

> Too see if that project is still being maintained, and if there is
> some useful crossover.  So if you folks are around, lets talk. Too be
> sure I want this editor to remain firmly a part of the Eclipse IDE and
> not a RCP  application.
The SystemTapGUI project was shelved for a while, but we are now looking
to revive it. We are working on a client-server version of the GUI and
hope to release it soon. The IDE does contain probe completion and
syntax highlighting but not code folding.  Like you were saying on IRC,
we could probably merge the features of both and import your IDE plugin
into the SystemTap GUI rather than maintaining duplicate code.
The current release on sourceforge works only with x86, i can send you a
binary rpm for x86_64 (still figuring out where to host it). Beware, its
not the final version. We are still testing it so there could be some
errors.

Regards,
Anithra

* Re: Systemtap Eclipse Editor
@ 2008-09-10 21:15   ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2008-09-10 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anithra; +Cc: systemtap

anithra wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
>> Too see if that project is still being maintained, and if there is
>> some useful crossover.  So if you folks are around, lets talk. Too be
>> sure I want this editor to remain firmly a part of the Eclipse IDE
>> and not a RCP  application.
> The SystemTapGUI project was shelved for a while, but we are now
> looking to revive it. We are working on a client-server version of the
> GUI and hope to release it soon. The IDE does contain probe completion
> and syntax highlighting but not code folding.  Like you were saying on
> IRC, we could probably merge the features of both and import your IDE
> plugin into the SystemTap GUI rather than maintaining duplicate code.

Thanks for the email, and status update!

What I plan to do is host the editor on the Linux Distributions Project
over on Eclipse.org as an upstream solution. Then when your team is
ready to revive the UI project, we can look at how they integrate. I
suspect they will just drop in. Long term plans are to include an
Eclipse Project feature with the editor, to provide editing/project
support in the Eclipse IDE.  My goal then is to provide Systemtap
support to the Eclipse IDE. This deviates a bit from the Systemap UI
project with a stand-alone application, but there is plenty of
cross-over from a common code base, so this is good. I don't plan to
hack on execution analysis, running or life cycle management, so I think
there will be a common source base with the editing functionality only.

I just wrote up rudimentary non-recursive code-folding this evening (at
depth 0). Also the code completion meta-data is generated dynamically
with stap -L coverage output.  So there might be interesting stuff you
could use right now. I'll post back here when it gets hosted and you can
check out the code.

Regards

Phil