* Building error for latest stap tree
@ 2008-12-26 18:28 Wenji Huang
From: Wenji Huang @ 2008-12-26 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SystemTAP

Hi,

I got building error for latest stap tree(commit
46a8c85fde5ba9bcf4fa55e8f435959af4d32fea).

[wjhuang@EL5U2-64bits ~]$ cat /tmp/error
certutil: self-signing a cert request is not supported.
certutil:  unable to open "ssl/server/stap-server.cert" for reading
(-5950, 2).
Cannot find certificate file ssl/server/stap-server.cert

And for EL4,
	certutil: command not found.
Seems no nss-tools rpm available. I tried yum or up2date, but
couldn't find nss-tools or certuils.

Can we have option to enable/disable it, like
./configure --disable-stap-sever

Regards,
Wenji

* Re: Building error for latest stap tree
@ 2008-12-27 14:27 ` Dave Brolley
From: Dave Brolley @ 2008-12-27 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wenji.huang; +Cc: SystemTAP

Wenji Huang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got building error for latest stap tree(commit
> 46a8c85fde5ba9bcf4fa55e8f435959af4d32fea).
>
> [wjhuang@EL5U2-64bits ~]$ cat /tmp/error
> certutil: self-signing a cert request is not supported.
> certutil:  unable to open "ssl/server/stap-server.cert" for reading
> (-5950, 2).
> Cannot find certificate file ssl/server/stap-server.cert
This is disturbing. We need to be able to sign our own certificates for
this purpose, otherwise we're going to need to find or set up a
certificate authority chain for our certificates. Can you provide more
info about your system and which version of nss-tools is on it. Also the
version of certutil and signtool?

> And for EL4,
>     certutil: command not found.
> Seems no nss-tools rpm available. I tried yum or up2date, but
> couldn't find nss-tools or certuils.
Also disturbing. I had been led to believe that nss and nss-tools were
ubiquitous.

> Can we have option to enable/disable it, like
> ./configure --disable-stap-sever
I'll disable to the automatic building of stamp-ssl for now.

> Regards,
> Wenji

Dave

* Re: Building error for latest stap tree
@ 2008-12-29  2:20   ` Dave Brolley
From: Dave Brolley @ 2008-12-29  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wenji.huang; +Cc: SystemTAP

Dave Brolley wrote:
> I'll disable to the automatic building of stamp-ssl for now.

Done. Let me know if you have any further problems.

For everyone else, you'll need to specifically run 'make stamp-ssl' in
order to generate a certificate/key for using the stap server before you
run 'make install'

Dave

* Re: Building error for latest stap tree
@ 2008-12-29 18:42   ` Wenji Huang
From: Wenji Huang @ 2008-12-29 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Brolley; +Cc: SystemTAP

Dave Brolley wrote:
> Wenji Huang wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I got building error for latest stap tree(commit
>> 46a8c85fde5ba9bcf4fa55e8f435959af4d32fea).
>>
>> [wjhuang@EL5U2-64bits ~]$ cat /tmp/error
>> certutil: self-signing a cert request is not supported.
>> certutil:  unable to open "ssl/server/stap-server.cert" for reading
>> (-5950, 2).
>> Cannot find certificate file ssl/server/stap-server.cert
> This is disturbing. We need to be able to sign our own certificates for
> this purpose, otherwise we're going to need to find or set up a
> certificate authority chain for our certificates. Can you provide more
> info about your system and which version of nss-tools is on it. Also the
> version of certutil and signtool?
[wjhuang@EL5U2-64bits systemtap]$ uname -i
x86_64
[wjhuang@EL5U2-64bits systemtap]$ uname -r
2.6.28
[wjhuang@EL5U2-64bits systemtap]$ git-log|head -n 5
commit 46a8c85fde5ba9bcf4fa55e8f435959af4d32fea
Author: Dave Brolley <brolley@redhat.com>
Date:   Wed Dec 24 14:20:41 2008 -0500

     Complete previous commit.
[wjhuang@EL5U2-64bits systemtap]$ rpm -qa|grep nss-
nss-devel-3.11.99.5-2.el5
nss-3.11.99.5-2.el5
nss-tools-3.11.99.5-2.el5
nss-3.11.99.5-2.el5
pkinit-nss-0.7.3-1.el5
[wjhuang@EL5U2-64bits systemtap]$ make
Makefile:1581: warning: overriding commands for target `check'
Makefile:1321: warning: ignoring old commands for target `check'
/bin/sh ./git_version.sh -k -s . -o git_version.h
git_version.sh: Output is unchanged, keeping git_version.h
./stap-gen-server-cert ssl
certutil: self-signing a cert request is not supported.
certutil:  unable to open "ssl/server/stap-server.cert" for reading
(-5950, 2).
Cannot find certificate file ssl/server/stap-server.cert
make: *** [stamp-ssl] Error 1

>> And for EL4,
>>     certutil: command not found.
>> Seems no nss-tools rpm available. I tried yum or up2date, but
>> couldn't find nss-tools or certuils.
> Also disturbing. I had been led to believe that nss and nss-tools were
> ubiquitous.
I checked the EL4 distribution. No related nss rpms are available. Of
course, we can have it through downloading-making-installing cycle. But
it is not very convenient for users. The option makes the thing better.

>> Can we have option to enable/disable it, like
>> ./configure --disable-stap-sever
> I'll disable to the automatic building of stamp-ssl for now.
It works. thanks! Only one nit is disturbing.
In default installation,
[wjhuang@EL4U6-32bits systemtap]$ sudo make install
(cd ./ssl/server; for f in pw; \
         do /usr/bin/install -c -m 600 -D $f
/etc/systemtap/ssl/server/$f; done)
(cd ./ssl/server; for f in *.db; \
         do /usr/bin/install -c -m 664 -D $f
/etc/systemtap/ssl/server/$f; done)
/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `*.db': No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [install-data-local] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/wjhuang/systemtap'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wjhuang/systemtap'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wjhuang/systemtap'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Seems Makefile needs a little cleanup.

@ 2008-12-31 20:34     ` Dave Brolley
From: Dave Brolley @ 2008-12-31 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wenji.huang; +Cc: SystemTAP

Wenji Huang wrote:
> It works. thanks! Only one nit is disturbing.
> In default installation,
> [wjhuang@EL4U6-32bits systemtap]$ sudo make install
> (cd ./ssl/server; for f in pw; \
>         do /usr/bin/install -c -m 600 -D $f
> /etc/systemtap/ssl/server/$f; done)
> (cd ./ssl/server; for f in *.db; \
>         do /usr/bin/install -c -m 664 -D $f
> /etc/systemtap/ssl/server/$f; done)
> /usr/bin/install: cannot stat `*.db': No such file or directory
> make[3]: *** [install-data-local] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/wjhuang/systemtap'
> make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/wjhuang/systemtap'
> make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wjhuang/systemtap'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> Seems Makefile needs a little cleanup.

Thanks again. I've pushed a fix.

Dave