* Re: SystemTapGui usage scenarios.
       [not found] <49DE1F24.108@redhat.com>
@ 2009-04-09 18:02 ` Dave Brolley
From: Dave Brolley @ 2009-04-09 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SystemTAP

Hi Anithra,

Just to repeat and record what I was getting at during today's call...

It looks to me that one could accomplish just about any usage scenario
by thinking of this in a modular way. We have:

o stapgui - a tool for creating stap scripts and visualizing the results
of running them
o stap - a tool for compiling scripts on the local host
o stap-client/stap-server - a tool for compiling scripts on local or
remote hosts
o staprun - a tool for loading/executing stap modules on the local host
o stapgui-server - the "lean" server you refer to is a tool for

Given this set of tools, I think you can accomplish all of the usage
scenarios below and likely additional ones as well. One essentially has
the ability from a given host to use stapgui to create a stap script,
compile it for the local host or any target running an available
stap-server (via stap-client), load/execute it on any compatible host
(via staprun or the "lean" server) and view the results in stapgui.

i.e., if we think of the "lean" stapgui server as a staprun-server, then
there is no need to extend the existing stap-server to provide remote
stap-servers are available, you may not need more than the "lean"
stapgui server.

As for hard dependencies on the stap compile-server, stap-client has the
same user interface as stap (with some client/server specific
additions), so stapgui would only need to know to use stap-client when
compiling for a target other than the stapgui host.

Does this make sense?

Dave

@ 2009-04-15 13:36   ` Anithra P Janakiraman
From: Anithra P Janakiraman @ 2009-04-15 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Brolley; +Cc: SystemTAP

Dave Brolley wrote:
> Hi Anithra,
>
> Just to repeat and record what I was getting at during today's call...
>
> It looks to me that one could accomplish just about any usage scenario
> by thinking of this in a modular way. We have:
>
> o stapgui - a tool for creating stap scripts and visualizing the
> results of running them
> o stap - a tool for compiling scripts on the local host
> o stap-client/stap-server - a tool for compiling scripts on local or
> remote hosts
> o staprun - a tool for loading/executing stap modules on the local host
> o stapgui-server - the "lean" server you refer to is a tool for
>
> Given this set of tools, I think you can accomplish all of the usage
> scenarios below and likely additional ones as well. One essentially
> has the ability from a given host to use stapgui to create a stap
> script, compile it for the local host or any target running an
> available stap-server (via stap-client), load/execute it on any
> compatible host (via staprun or the "lean" server) and view the
> results in stapgui.
>
> i.e., if we think of the "lean" stapgui server as a staprun-server,
> then there is no need to extend the existing stap-server to provide
> remote loading/execution of stap modules and, provided that suitable
> stap-servers are available, you may not need more than the "lean"
> stapgui server.
>
> As for hard dependencies on the stap compile-server, stap-client has
> the same user interface as stap (with some client/server specific
> additions), so stapgui would only need to know to use stap-client when
> compiling for a target other than the stapgui host.
>
> Does this make sense?
>
> Dave
Hi Dave,

I'm not very clear with the usage of stap-server/stap-server  that you
have described.
This is what i understood:
The staprun-server(stapgui-server/"lean" server) is to staprun what the
stap-client/stap-server is to stap.
1. In a scenario where i create a script using stapgui, and i need to
execute it on a remote machine - i use stap-client to create the module
and use the staprun-server("lean" server) to execute the module.
2. In a scenario where i create a script using stapgui, and i need to
execute on the same machine - i use stap and staprun instead of the
stap-client and staprun-server

The problem i have with this is that it creates a "hard-dependency", in
the sense , in scenario 1 if there is no stap-server the stapgui cannot
be used. I would like to use stapgui even if there is no registered
compile-server.

The alternative would be to check if there is a registered
compile-server, if not use stap to compile on the  remote machine and
use the staprun-server for execution. This is how others had interpreted
you mail :).  Ananth, correct me if im wrong.

Regards,
Anithra.

@ 2009-04-15 15:56     ` Dave Brolley
From: Dave Brolley @ 2009-04-15 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anithra P Janakiraman; +Cc: SystemTAP

Anithra P Janakiraman wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I'm not very clear with the usage of stap-server/stap-server  that you
> have described.
> This is what i understood:
> The staprun-server(stapgui-server/"lean" server) is to staprun what
> the stap-client/stap-server is to stap.
Yes.
> 1. In a scenario where i create a script using stapgui, and i need to
> execute it on a remote machine - i use stap-client to create the
> module and use the staprun-server("lean" server) to execute the module.
Yes.
> 2. In a scenario where i create a script using stapgui, and i need to
> execute on the same machine - i use stap and staprun instead of the
> stap-client and staprun-server
Yes.

> The problem i have with this is that it creates a "hard-dependency",
> in the sense , in scenario 1 if there is no stap-server the stapgui
> cannot be used. I would like to use stapgui even if there is no
> registered compile-server.
>
> The alternative would be to check if there is a registered
> compile-server, if not use stap to compile on the  remote machine and
> use the staprun-server for execution. This is how others had
> interpreted you mail :).
Yes. The idea is that we can minimize the amount of duplicated
functionality among our tools. However, if there is no stap-server
available to remote compilation, then stapgui-server would then be
forced to use stap to do the compilation.

Dave

* Re: SystemTapGui usage scenarios.
@ 2009-04-16 16:56       ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2009-04-16 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Brolley; +Cc: Anithra P Janakiraman, SystemTAP

Dave Brolley <brolley@redhat.com> writes:

> [...]  However, if there is no stap-server available to remote
> compilation, then stapgui-server would then be forced to use stap to
> do the compilation.

What if stap-client was taught to fallback to a local "stap" if it
can't find a server?

- FChE

* Re: SystemTapGui usage scenarios.
@ 2009-04-16 17:49         ` Dave Brolley
From: Dave Brolley @ 2009-04-16 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: Anithra P Janakiraman, SystemTAP

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Dave Brolley <brolley@redhat.com> writes:
>

>> [...]  However, if there is no stap-server available to remote
>> compilation, then stapgui-server would then be forced to use stap to
>> do the compilation.
>>

> What if stap-client was taught to fallback to a local "stap" if it
> can't find a server?

Probably not a bad idea on the client side. However, the comment above
was meant to address the situation where stapgui needs to do a remote
compile for remote execution on a system which does not match the
stapgui host. In this case, the stapgui-server on the remote host would
have to use stap to do the compile if a suitable stap-server is not
available.

Dave

* SystemTapGui usage scenarios.
@ 2009-04-07 16:19 Anithra P Janakiraman