* Comments on Installation Guide
@ 2011-06-01  7:33 Daniel Migault
From: Daniel Migault @ 2011-06-01  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hi,

I went through the documentation, and maybe I would add a few
indications for the installation. It looks that some of them have been
removed from previous installation guides.

Regards,
Daniel

I Install systemtap

If you want to install systemtap from rpm :
   yum install systemtap systemtap-client systemtap-grapher
systemtap-runtime systemtap-sdt-devel systemtap-server systemtap-testsuite

If you want the latest version, then you may built it from the git
repository :
   I.1. Download the git directory
     If you don't already have a local copy :
     git clone http://sources.redhat.com/git/systemtap.git
<http://sources.redhat.com/git/systemtap.git> systemtap.git
     If you have already a local copy then you just need to upgrade it :
     git pull

   I.2. Get pre-requisit rpms :
     yum install xmlto latex2html gcc gcc-c++ publican nspr-devel
nss-devel avahi-devel elfutils-devel libdwarf-devel sqlite-devel
boost-devel xmltool rpm-libs rpm-devel rpm-build pcp-libs-devel
perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker bison perl-PCP-PMDA  gtkmm24-devel
libglademm24-devel

   I.3. Configure and build :
     cd systemtap.git
     ./configure
     Depending on your installation you may need more rpm. If message
are not explicit enough you may look at the file config.log and search
for "failed". Note that fatal error : ac_nonexistent.h should not be
considered as errors.
      make
      make install

II Configure your kernel :

     yum install kernel-devel-`uname -r`
     debufinfo-install kernel-`uname -r`

     If installation does not succeed than install manually the packages
by doing : # This indication was in older installation guides, and
removed on version 1.6
     dpkg --force -ivh XXX

     test with : stap -v -e 'probe vfs.read {printf("read performed\n");
exit()}'
     If that does not work, then you may reboot.

* Re: Comments on Installation Guide
@ 2011-06-05 11:19 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2011-06-05 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mglt.biz; +Cc: systemtap

Hi, Daniel -

mglt.biz wrote:

> I went through the documentation, and maybe I would add a few
> indications for the installation. It looks that some of them have
> been removed from previous installation guides.

Such distribution-specific information could go into the wiki, or
perhaps new README.fedora type files.  Note that the main README
already has similar information.

> I Install systemtap
>
> If you want to install systemtap from rpm :
>   yum install systemtap systemtap-client systemtap-grapher
> systemtap-runtime systemtap-sdt-devel systemtap-server
> systemtap-testsuite

The basic requirement is only systemtap and systemtap-runtime.

> If you want the latest version, then you may built it from the git
> repository :
>   I.1. Download the git directory
>     If you don't already have a local copy :
>     git clone [...]

(Already in the README.)

>   I.2. Get pre-requisit rpms :
>     yum install xmlto [...]

"yum-builddep systemtap" should work about as well as that list.

>   I.3. Configure and build :
>     cd systemtap.git
>     ./configure
> [...]

(Already in README.)

> II Configure your kernel :
>
>     yum install kernel-devel-`uname -r`
>     debuginfo-install kernel-`uname -r`
> [...]

These could be added to the README.

Hm, how about posting a proposed patch for the README file
for the couple of items that are missing?

- FChE

* Re: Comments on Installation Guide
@ 2011-07-04  8:57   ` Daniel Migault
From: Daniel Migault @ 2011-07-04  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)