From: Josh Stone <jistone@redhat.com>
To: systemtap@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: Build local systemtap
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 04/16/2013 11:42 AM, Kalai Rajah N wrote:
> Can I build systemtap with binutils instead of elfutils?

No, the two are only similar in the programs they provide, but we use
libraries that are only in elfutils (especially libdw).

> I got the recent snapshot of systemtap and built it with the
> following command
>
> ../systemtap-20130413/configure --prefix=${PREFIX} --libdir=${PREFIX}/lib64
> --with-elfutils=/dev/shm/sw-build/elfutils-0.155
>
> make & make install went through fine.

Ok, when using "--with-elfutils" it should build and install private
copies of those elfutils libraries.  Are they successfully installed in
$libdir/systemtap/ ?

> But, when I run stap --help, I get the following error. Going through
> systemtap release notes, I found that it needs elfutils and not
> binutils. Is this there a way to substitute binutils for elfutils? Or
> can I have both elfutils and binutils on the samesystem?
>
> stap: /usr/lib64/libelf.so.1: version `ELFUTILS_1.5' not found
> (required by stap)
> stap: /usr/lib64/libdw.so.1: version `ELFUTILS_0.148' not found
> (required by stap)
> stap: /usr/lib64/libdw.so.1: version `ELFUTILS_0.138' not found
> (required by stap)
> stap: /usr/lib64/libdw.so.1: version `ELFUTILS_0.142' not found
> (required by stap)
> stap: /usr/lib64/libdw.so.1: version `ELFUTILS_0.143' not found
> (required by stap)
> stap: /usr/lib64/libdw.so.1: version `ELFUTILS_0.149' not found
> (required by stap)

This is clearly picking up the system's older version of elfutils, which
lacks the necessary symbols you built against.  So after you verify that
stap's private elfutils installed correctly, please check if "eu-readelf
-d stap" contains the right RPATH/RUNPATH.

It might also be an issue if the prefix you chose was a relative path.
I'm not sure if we translate that to a full path at build time.