* compile systemtap at redhat 9
@ 2010-07-25 16:31 陈静相
From: 陈静相 @ 2010-07-25 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

hi - -

I want compile systemtap at redhat 9.

I compile in chroot environment.    (I build a redhat9 chroot
environment) and want compile systemtap in this chroot enviroment.

my compile step:

#chroot /compile/

rpm -ivh elfutils-0.76-3.i386.rpm
rpm -ivh elfutils-devel-0.76-3.i386.rpm

I download systemtap-1.2 source packet.and tar it.

cd systemtap-1.2

./configure

and get a error:checking for dwfl_module_getsym in -ldw... no
configure: error: missing elfutils development headers/libraries
(install elfutils-devel, libebl-dev, libdw-dev and/or libebl-devel)

I think I installed rpm about elfutils.

how can I compile successful at redhat 9?
please give some advise to me. 3ks

* Re: compile systemtap at redhat 9
@ 2010-07-25 22:40 ` Josh Stone
From: Josh Stone @ 2010-07-25 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 陈静相; +Cc: systemtap

On 07/25/2010 09:31 AM, 陈静相 wrote:
> I want compile systemtap at redhat 9.
>
> I compile in chroot environment.    (I build a redhat9 chroot
> environment) and want compile systemtap in this chroot enviroment.

Can you explain why you want to do this?  SystemTap requires building
and loading kernel modules, so even if you're running in a chroot, it
will require access to the host environment.

You should still be able to run stap in the main host environment to see
things that are running in your rh9 chroot.  Please let us know what you
are trying to achieve.

> rpm -ivh elfutils-0.76-3.i386.rpm
> rpm -ivh elfutils-devel-0.76-3.i386.rpm

We require at least 0.126.  You may build a newer elfutils along with
stap using "./configure --with-elfutils=/path/to/elfutils-source".  But
both systemtap and elfutils may have issues with the rh9 gcc being so
old.  So again, I wonder why you need to do this...

Josh

* Re: compile systemtap at redhat 9
@ 2010-07-26  1:20   ` 陈静相
From: 陈静相 @ 2010-07-26  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Stone, systemtap

3ks Josh, I just want buid a cross-instrumentation host system. in
this chroot, I git kernel source as some as target system's.

I know gcc is so old.... and update it to version 4.2 and update libc.so

I will update my host system environment. 3ks...