From: Ahmed Taha <linuxmails.lists@gmail.com>
To: Anithra P Janakiraman <anithra@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
Cc: "systemtap@sourceware.org" <systemtap@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Framework for easy distribution of SystemTap scripts.
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 20:26:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

Please help me understand the jump that had just happened. What you
are saying is that to troubleshoot an abnormality or a kernel hanging
or a softlock due to a random process or a stateless nfsv4 hanging-
kernel, I do NOT have to install a release-specific systemtap rpm with
its debug info kernel, but all what I do now is to generate the
systemtap rpm customized to a certain config parameters Provided I
have already initial snapshots of systemtap runs on another machine ?

Thanks, --Ahmed

On Feb 28, 2010, at 3:58, Anithra P Janakiraman <anithra@linux.vnet.ibm.com
 > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please do let me know if there are any concerns/suggestions with the
> distribution framework.
> We are thinking a man page would not be necessary as usage is
> trivial. Let me know if it is needed ((README has been included).
>
> Regards,
> Anithra.
>

> On 02/17/2010 11:39 PM, Anithra P Janakiraman wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've attached a modified framework. The systemtap_pkg_generator now
>> generates a package that includes staprun,stapio, an install script
>> and
>> the generated kernel module. The files are not packaged into an
>> rpm, and
>> no installation happens. The resulting 'package' is a self-extracting
>> binary file that extracts all files to the current dir, invokes the
>> install script which in turn invokes staprun from the current dir.
>> This
>> binary file can only be executed by root users.
>>
>> Please comment.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Anithra.
>>

>> On 02/02/2010 10:12 PM, Anithra P Janakiraman wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've attached a modified framework. The names of the template/config
>>> files have been changed(no change in functionality). I've
>>> attempted to
>>> keeps the names compatible with other scripts in the SystemTap
>>> package.
>>> We would like to keep the framework in a seperate directory
>>> (similar to
>>> the initscript dir) for the sake of simplicity. (called
>>> distribution-framework or distribution-fw?)
>>>
>>> The directory would contain the following
>>> template.specfile
>>> template.install
>>> template.binextractor
>>> config.rpmoptions
>>> systemtap-rpm-generator (This is the executable script)