On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 at 23:04, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote: > Hi - > > > Any thoughts on this? I'd be happy to submit a patch but I'd like to know > > if you think it's reasonable to do first, so I don't spend the time > writing > > something that won't be committable. > > It'd be a big usability improvement in systemtap for me to be able to > > define systemtap language macros on the command line. > > Thanks so much for doing the Work! It's certainly a reasonable > self-serve kind of way to do it outside the tool. > > I really think tho that stap translator proper should do this, and am > pretty sure we can. It'd be some hacking around within tapsets.cxx or > loc2stap.cxx or somesuch, but it wouldn't be too much. The enum > values for $FOO_BAR could translate straight to literals. Would you > have any interest in trying to hack on that? > I made an attempt at doing this by implementing an @enum language feature, but landed up getting totally bogged. My WIP is attached - it's on top of commit 403e92779 so it might not merge exactly, but it's unfinished anyway. I got lost in all the visitors and kept hitting assertions I couldn't understand or debug, IIRC, and ran out of time on it. -- Craig Ringer http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/ 2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise