* can we resolve that "systemtap requires elfutils 0.123+" configure  error?
@ 2007-03-17 14:35 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2007-03-17 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

  a while back, i reported this configuration error, which is
described here as well:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/systemtap/2006-q3/msg00468.html

  would it be possible to rework the configuration step so that the
error is at least meaningful?  i ran into this last week in showing an
entire class how to download and configure systemtap onto an FC6
system and, without exception, they all got that error despite the
fact that their current version of elfutils is 0.126.

  if the configuration step is truly complaining about a missing
"-devel" package, can it at least say so accurately?  thanks.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

* Re: can we resolve that "systemtap requires elfutils 0.123+" configure  error?
@ 2007-03-17 17:29 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2007-03-17 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:

> [...]  if the configuration step is truly complaining about a
> missing "-devel" package, can it at least say so accurately?
> thanks.

I suppose so, if people are not offended by more Red Hat-isms.  Still,
it should be part of general linux education that development RPMs are
needed when building against libraries, as opposed to running against
them.

- FChE

* Re: can we resolve that "systemtap requires elfutils 0.123+" configure   error?
@ 2007-03-17 17:53   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2007-03-17 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:
>
> > [...]  if the configuration step is truly complaining about a
> > missing "-devel" package, can it at least say so accurately?
> > thanks.
>
> I suppose so, if people are not offended by more Red Hat-isms.
> Still, it should be part of general linux education that development
> RPMs are needed when building against libraries, as opposed to
> running against them.

but, IIRC, it's not a missing *development* RPM that's the problem --
it's one of the libraries.  on my FC6 system:

$ rpm -qR systemtap
/bin/bash
/usr/bin/env
/usr/bin/perl
gcc
glib2 >= 2.0.0
kernel >= 2.6.9-11
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.3)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)
libdl.so.2
libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0)
libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.1)
libdw.so.1
libdw.so.1(ELFUTILS_0.122)
libelf.so.1
libelf.so.1(ELFUTILS_1.0)
libgcc_s.so.1
libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)
libgcc_s.so.1(GLIBC_2.0)
libglib-2.0.so.0
libm.so.6
libstdc++.so.6
libstdc++.so.6(CXXABI_1.3)
libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4)
make
perl(Getopt::Std)
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rtld(GNU_HASH)
systemtap-runtime = 0.5.12-1.fc6

  so, at least on FC, systemtap doesn't sppear to require a
development package.

  add to this the fact that a *lot* of people aren't going to be
familiar with elfutils -- they'll have been using the standard
binutils commands all this time.  so giving them a misleading error is
not going to be particularly helpful when they're *already* wondering
what the heck this "elfutils" thing is.

@ 2007-03-17 18:16     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2007-03-17 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: systemtap

Hi -

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 01:50:19PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> [...]
> > I suppose so, if people are not offended by more Red Hat-isms.
> > Still, it should be part of general linux education that development
> > RPMs are needed when building against libraries, as opposed to
> > running against them.
>
> but, IIRC, it's not a missing *development* RPM that's the problem --
> it's one of the libraries.  on my FC6 system:
>
> $ rpm -qR systemtap
> [...not elfutils-*-devel...]
>   so, at least on FC, systemtap doesn't sppear to require a
> development package.

But that's completely normal.  A compiled application will require
only the core shared libraries to *run*.  But you were trying to
compile systemtap itself.  (Contrast the Requires: and the
BuildRequires: lines in the spec file.)

- FChE

* Re: can we resolve that "systemtap requires elfutils 0.123+" configure  error?
@ 2007-03-18 17:12       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2007-03-18 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: systemtap

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Hi -
>
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 01:50:19PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I suppose so, if people are not offended by more Red Hat-isms.
> > > Still, it should be part of general linux education that development
> > > RPMs are needed when building against libraries, as opposed to
> > > running against them.
> >
> > but, IIRC, it's not a missing *development* RPM that's the problem --
> > it's one of the libraries.  on my FC6 system:
> >
> > $ rpm -qR systemtap
> > [...not elfutils-*-devel...]
> >   so, at least on FC, systemtap doesn't sppear to require a
> > development package.
>
> But that's completely normal.  A compiled application will require
> only the core shared libraries to *run*.  But you were trying to
> compile systemtap itself.  (Contrast the Requires: and the
> BuildRequires: lines in the spec file.)

sorry, you're right, i just had a brain fart there.