* detailed Warning informatoin output
@ 2006-01-17  9:59 Mao, Bibo
From: Mao, Bibo @ 2006-01-17  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SystemTAP

Hi,
Sometimes when system is heavy load or there are many trace points,
there will be some WARNING information like this:
	WARNING: Number of errors: 0, skipped probes: 2141
And I do know whether the WARNING information can be formatted output
more detailed. For example, for skipped probes, for kprobe, kprobe trace
point is printed; and for kretprobe, kretprobe trace point and function
name is printed. And sometime it is benefit for us to analyze
kprobe/kretprobe.

Regards
Bibo,mao

* Re: detailed Warning informatoin output
@ 2006-01-17 19:46 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2006-01-17 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mao, Bibo; +Cc: systemtap

bibo.mao@intel.com wrote:

> [...]
> 	WARNING: Number of errors: 0, skipped probes: 2141
> And I do know whether the WARNING information can be formatted output
> more detailed. [...]

Yes, that could be nice to have.  One problem with more information is
that skipped probes occur in situations where there is little time and
space available to safely store it.

- FChE

* RE: detailed Warning informatoin output
@ 2006-01-18  1:28 Mao, Bibo
From: Mao, Bibo @ 2006-01-18  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fche; +Cc: systemtap

Maybe the skipped probe information can be output when systemtap exits, and when unregistering kprobe/kretprobe this information can be output. Of course there is other reason kprobe is skipped, but currently I think missed kprobe/kretprobe should be focused on.

Regards
Bibo,mao