* tests with guru mode and systemtap rpm
@ 2005-09-14 13:56 William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2005-09-14 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SystemTAP

It is good to see additional tests being put into the SystemTap
testsuite, e.g. systemtap.samples/tcp_connection. The RPMs that come out
of the build system are built guru mode disabled. Thus, these tests hat
require guru mode are going to fail with the SystemTap supplied by RPM.

I would like to put the tests that require guru mode in a separate
directory (systemtap.guru) to make it easier to analyze the results.
Right now some who runs the tests (who may be a release engineer rather
than a systemtap develop) is going to need to look at the individual
tests to determine why they failed. Having the tests using guru mode in
this directory would make the explanation of failure much easier.

I hope that a number of these tests/examples can eliminate the use of
guru mode as tapsets and translator support improves.

-Will

* Re: tests with guru mode and systemtap rpm
@ 2005-09-14 14:31 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2005-09-14 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Cohen; +Cc: SystemTAP

wcohen wrote:

> It is good to see additional tests being put into the SystemTap
> testsuite, e.g. systemtap.samples/tcp_connection. The RPMs that come
> out of the build system are built guru mode disabled.

What do you mean "disabled"?  Of course it's not on by default,
for that would defeat the purpose.

> Thus, these tests hat require guru mode are going to fail with the
> SystemTap supplied by RPM.

Dejagnu can add "-g" to the spawn command line, and as well, executable
systemtap scripts can put the necessary directive beside the hash-bang.
#! stap -g

> [...]  I hope that a number of these tests/examples can eliminate
> the use of guru mode as tapsets and translator support improves.

Indeed.

- FChE