* Module Built Seperate from Kernel
@ 2008-01-23 18:07 garogers01
From: garogers01 @ 2008-01-23 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Is there a way to specify in the stap command file the location of a module
and it's files that are built independent of the kernel directory path?

For instance I have the following:

probe module("ocf").function("*") {
printf ("%s -> %s\n", thread_indent(1), probefunc())
}

probe module("icp_drv").function("*") {
printf ("%s -> %s\n", thread_indent(1), probefunc())
}

I get the following error:

semantic error: no match for probe point while resolving probe point
module("icp_drv").function("*")

Although the module is loaded, I don't see it or its' functions listed when
I use the -p2 option.  When I do a -p1 and look at the search trace, the
module build and file directory is not searched.  Is there a way to tell it
to search the module directory?

The module directory is in /root/driver/icp_drv

Thanks,

Gerald Rogers

* Re: Module Built Seperate from Kernel
@ 2008-01-23 18:40 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2008-01-23 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: garogers01; +Cc: systemtap

garogers01 <gerald.rogers@intel.com> writes:

> Is there a way to specify in the stap command file the location of a module
> and it's files that are built independent of the kernel directory path? [...]
>[...]
> Although the module is loaded, I don't see it or its' functions listed when
> I use the -p2 option.  [...]

That was a good guess.  What systemtap is really looking for however
is the actual .ko file on disk (and/or a separate stripped .ko.debug
file).

> The module directory is in /root/driver/icp_drv

Until we get bug #2151 ("need method to specify debug search path")
fixed, would you consider putting in a symlink to this tree
under your /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ directory?

- FChE