* HACKING file: proposed addition
@ 2008-06-10 16:55 Jim Keniston
From: Jim Keniston @ 2008-06-10 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

I propose appending the following text to the "test suites" section of
src/HACKING.

  To run a particular test or set of tests, do:
    cd testsuite
    make check RUNTESTFLAGS=subdir/test.exp
  or
    make installcheck RUNTESTFLAGS=subdir/test.exp
  For example:
    make installcheck RUNTESTFLAGS=systemtap.string/strtol.exp

The last paragraph of HACKING says:
  Proposed changes to these guidelines should be discussed on the
  mailing list.
so please discuss away.

Thanks.
Jim

* Re: HACKING file: proposed addition
@ 2008-06-10 20:23 ` David Smith
From: David Smith @ 2008-06-10 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Keniston; +Cc: systemtap

Jim Keniston wrote:
> I propose appending the following text to the "test suites" section of
> src/HACKING.
>
>   To run a particular test or set of tests, do:
>     cd testsuite
>     make check RUNTESTFLAGS=subdir/test.exp
>   or
>     make installcheck RUNTESTFLAGS=subdir/test.exp
>   For example:
>     make installcheck RUNTESTFLAGS=systemtap.string/strtol.exp
>
> The last paragraph of HACKING says:
>   Proposed changes to these guidelines should be discussed on the
>   mailing list.
> so please discuss away.

I'm fine with adding the above.

One additional note here is that those paths are relative to the
testsuite source directory.  If you've configured in a directory other
than the source directory, you still use the paths as above.

That's probably confusing, so let me illustrate with an example.  Let's
say you do a build not in the source directory, like this:

# mkdir build
# cd build
# ../src/configure
# make

When you go to run a single test, you'd do the following:

# cd testsuite
# make installcheck RUNTESTFLAGS=systemtap.string/strtol.exp

You would *not* do this:

# cd testsuite
# make installcheck
RUNTESTFLAGS=../../src/testsuite/systemtap.string/strtol.exp

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com

* Re: HACKING file: proposed addition
@ 2008-06-10 21:10   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2008-06-10 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Smith; +Cc: Jim Keniston, systemtap

dwmith wrote:

> [...] When you go to run a single test, you'd do the following:
> # cd testsuite
> # make installcheck RUNTESTFLAGS=systemtap.string/strtol.exp
> [...]

FWIW, you don't need the subdirectory name at all.  Just say
RUNTESTFLAGS=strtol.exp, and rely on the latter's uniqueness.

- FChE