* SystemTap on Fedora 11
@ 2009-02-10 22:44 Maynard Johnson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Maynard Johnson @ 2009-02-10 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Hi,
I plan on doing some systemtap development on a Fedora 11 G5 box.  Started out by just installing the F11 systemtap rpm and tried the HelloWorld example from /usr/share/doc/systemtap-0.8/examples/general, but I get a bunch of error messages, as follows:

[ppcteam@localhost general]$ sudo stap -p4 helloworld.stp
parse error: command line argument index 1 out of range [1-0]
        at: operator '' at /usr/share/systemtap/tapset/argv.stp:15:29
     source:       %( $# >= 1 %? argv[1]=@1 %)
                                         ^
parse error: command line argument index 2 out of range [1-0]
        at: operator '' at /usr/share/systemtap/tapset/argv.stp:16:29
     source:       %( $# >= 2 %? argv[2]=@2 %)

..... lots more of the same kind of thing

The verbose option doesn't help any.  I'm just getting my feet wet with SystemTap, so maybe this is something simple I'm missing.  Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks.
-Maynard

* Re: SystemTap on Fedora 11
@ 2009-02-10 22:53 ` Andrew Klaassen
From: Andrew Klaassen @ 2009-02-10 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap, Maynard Johnson

> I plan on doing some systemtap development on a Fedora 11
> G5 box.  Started out by just installing the F11 systemtap
> rpm and tried the HelloWorld example from
> /usr/share/doc/systemtap-0.8/examples/general, but I get a
> bunch of error messages, as follows:
>
> [ppcteam@localhost general]$ sudo stap -p4 helloworld.stp
> parse error: command line argument index 1 out of range
> [1-0]
>         at: operator '' at
> /usr/share/systemtap/tapset/argv.stp:15:29
>      source:       %( $# >= 1 %? argv[1]=@1 %)
>                                          ^
> parse error: command line argument index 2 out of range
> [1-0]
>         at: operator '' at
> /usr/share/systemtap/tapset/argv.stp:16:29
>      source:       %( $# >= 2 %? argv[2]=@2 %)
>
> ..... lots more of the same kind of thing
>
> The verbose option doesn't help any.  I'm just
> getting my feet wet with SystemTap, so maybe this is
> something simple I'm missing.  Any idea what might be
> causing this?

Looks like the script is looking for an argument.  What if you run something like this?

sudo stap -p4 helloworld.stp foo

Andrew

* Re: SystemTap on Fedora 11
@ 2009-02-11  6:16   ` Maynard Johnson
From: Maynard Johnson @ 2009-02-11  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: clawsoon; +Cc: systemtap

Andrew Klaassen wrote:
> [...]
The helloworld.meta file did not indicate an argument was needed, but I tried passing one anyway, as you suggested . . . no luck.

-Maynard

> Andrew

* Re: SystemTap on Fedora 11
@ 2009-02-11  6:18 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2009-02-11  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maynard Johnson; +Cc: systemtap

Maynard Johnson <maynardj@us.ibm.com> writes:

> I plan on doing some systemtap development on a Fedora 11 G5 box.
> Started out by just installing the F11 systemtap rpm [...]

We're hoping to push a new release to F11/rawhide soon, since the
prior one is known to have incompatibilities with the kernel.  Please
try a build out of systemtap git.

- FChE

* Re: SystemTap on Fedora 11
@ 2009-02-13 20:04   ` Maynard Johnson
From: Maynard Johnson @ 2009-02-13 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: systemtap

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Maynard Johnson <maynardj@us.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> I plan on doing some systemtap development on a Fedora 11 G5 box.
>> Started out by just installing the F11 systemtap rpm [...]
>
> We're hoping to push a new release to F11/rawhide soon, since the
> prior one is known to have incompatibilities with the kernel.  Please
> try a build out of systemtap git.
I tried building and running with source from systemtap git and I'm seeing the
same parsing errors.  As the instructions at
http://sources.redhat.com/git/?p=systemtap.git;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=HEAD
indicate, I left the F11-supplied systemtap rpm installed.  Is that the right
thing to do?  I put my own systemtap build in /usr/local.  I also tried runing
'make installcheck', and that resulted in many errors.  My system kernel level
is 2.6.29-0.74.rc3.git3.fc11.ppc64.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
-Maynard

> - FChE

* Re: SystemTap on Fedora 11
@ 2009-02-13 20:43     ` David Smith
From: David Smith @ 2009-02-13 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maynardj; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, systemtap

Maynard Johnson wrote:
> Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
>> Maynard Johnson <maynardj@us.ibm.com> writes:
>>
>>> I plan on doing some systemtap development on a Fedora 11 G5 box.
>>> Started out by just installing the F11 systemtap rpm [...]
>>
>> We're hoping to push a new release to F11/rawhide soon, since the
>> prior one is known to have incompatibilities with the kernel.  Please
>> try a build out of systemtap git.
> I tried building and running with source from systemtap git and I'm
> seeing the same parsing errors.  As the instructions at
> http://sources.redhat.com/git/?p=systemtap.git;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=HEAD
> indicate, I left the F11-supplied systemtap rpm installed.  Is that the
> right thing to do?  I put my own systemtap build in /usr/local.  I also
> tried runing 'make installcheck', and that resulted in many errors.  My
> system kernel level is 2.6.29-0.74.rc3.git3.fc11.ppc64.
>
> Any other suggestions?

One thing to do is make sure which systemtap you were running.  If you
just ran 'stap', you probably got the one from the F11-supplied
systemtap rpm.  Try running the following command and let us know what
happens:

# /usr/local/bin/stap -ve 'probe begin {printf("hello\n"); exit()}'

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com

* Re: SystemTap on Fedora 11
@ 2009-02-14  0:48     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2009-02-14  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maynardj; +Cc: systemtap

Maynard Johnson <maynardj@us.ibm.com> writes:

> I tried building and running with source from systemtap git and I'm
> seeing the same parsing errors.  [...]

My only guess is that your installation of your system or /usr/local
copy of systemtap or the tapset got corrupted.  Try "make uninstall"
for your /usr/local copy, and "rpm -e systemtap" for the /usr one.

The particular parse error you're encountering sounds like a very
short-lived one that was fixed by commit 3f84783, which dates from
last June.

- FChE

* Re: SystemTap on Fedora 11
@ 2009-02-14 14:27       ` Maynard Johnson
From: Maynard Johnson @ 2009-02-14 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Smith; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, systemtap

David Smith wrote:
> Maynard Johnson wrote:
>> Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

>>> We're hoping to push a new release to F11/rawhide soon, since the
>>> prior one is known to have incompatibilities with the kernel.  Please
>>> try a build out of systemtap git.
>> I tried building and running with source from systemtap git and I'm
>> seeing the same parsing errors.  As the instructions at
>> http://sources.redhat.com/git/?p=systemtap.git;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=HEAD
>> indicate, I left the F11-supplied systemtap rpm installed.  Is that the
>> right thing to do?  I put my own systemtap build in /usr/local.  I also
>> tried runing 'make installcheck', and that resulted in many errors.  My
>> system kernel level is 2.6.29-0.74.rc3.git3.fc11.ppc64.
>>
>> Any other suggestions?
>
> One thing to do is make sure which systemtap you were running.  If you
> just ran 'stap', you probably got the one from the F11-supplied
No, /usr/local is first in my PATH.
> systemtap rpm.  Try running the following command and let us know what
> happens:
>
> # /usr/local/bin/stap -ve 'probe begin {printf("hello\n"); exit()}'
OK, running this was helpful.  It pointed at the need for "kernel-devel
package', which this system did have a kernel-devel package installed.  But when
I started to look more closely, I saw mismatches in kernel versions between the
running kernel and the kernel-devel package (kernel-debuginfo package, too).  I
*think* I have all that straightened out now.  Now, when I run the above
command, I get further.  Here's the output.  I'll dig into it on Monday.
------
[ppcteam@localhost ~]$ sudo /usr/local/bin/stap -ve 'probe begin
{printf("hello\n"); exit()}'
Pass 1: parsed user script and 47 library script(s) in 640usr/50sys/695real ms.
Pass 2: analyzed script: 1 probe(s), 1 function(s), 0 embed(s), 0 global(s) in
10usr/0sys/8real ms.
Pass 3: using cached
/home/ppcteam/.systemtap/cache/44/stap_4449db3bfcad42c34a15064adafe91cf_348.c
Pass 4: using cached
/home/ppcteam/.systemtap/cache/44/stap_4449db3bfcad42c34a15064adafe91cf_348.ko
Pass 5: starting run.
Error inserting module
'/tmp/stapUvlh6p/stap_4449db3bfcad42c34a15064adafe91cf_348.ko': Invalid module
format
Retrying, after attempted removal of module
stap_4449db3bfcad42c34a15064adafe91cf_348 (rc -1)
Error inserting module
'/tmp/stapUvlh6p/stap_4449db3bfcad42c34a15064adafe91cf_348.ko': Invalid module
format
Pass 5: run completed in 0usr/30sys/49real ms.
Pass 5: run failed.  Try again with another '--vp 00001' option.
[ppcteam@localhost ~]$

-------

Thanks.
-Maynard

* Re: SystemTap on Fedora 11
@ 2009-02-15 21:24         ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2009-02-15 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maynard Johnson; +Cc: David Smith, systemtap

Hi -

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 06:42:56PM -0600, Maynard Johnson wrote:
> [...]
> ># /usr/local/bin/stap -ve 'probe begin {printf("hello\n"); exit()}'
> OK, running this was helpful.  It pointed at the need for "kernel-devel
> package', which this system did have a kernel-devel package installed.  But
> when I started to look more closely, I saw mismatches in kernel versions
> between the running kernel and the kernel-devel package (kernel-debuginfo
> package, too).  I *think* I have all that straightened out now.

> Now, when I run the above command, I get further.

That should not happen, as the kernel-devel package is sought much
later than any of that script level parsing.

> [...]
> Pass 3: using cached
> /home/ppcteam/.systemtap/cache/44/stap_4449db3bfcad42c34a15064adafe91cf_348.c
> Pass 4: using cached
> /home/ppcteam/.systemtap/cache/44/stap_4449db3bfcad42c34a15064adafe91cf_348.ko
> Pass 5: starting run.
> Error inserting module
> '/tmp/stapUvlh6p/stap_4449db3bfcad42c34a15064adafe91cf_348.ko': Invalid
> module format

"dmesg" should give you more information.  Maybe that .ko was built
with a different version of kernel-devel than appropriate for the host
machine, though that shouldn't happen by accident either.  (That's
because the makefiles etc. include version strings in the pathnames.
A mismatching kernel-devel should not be touched by systemtap.)

Anyway, while we're working what happened, zap your
$HOME/.systemtap/cache directory and try again.

- FChE

* Re: SystemTap on Fedora 11
@ 2009-09-10 17:55 ` Maynard Johnson
From: Maynard Johnson @ 2009-09-10 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: systemtap

Maynard Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
> I plan on doing some systemtap development on a Fedora 11 G5 box.  Started out by just installing the F11 systemtap rpm and tried the HelloWorld example from /usr/share/doc/systemtap-0.8/examples/general, but I get a bunch of error messages, as follows:
>
> [ppcteam@localhost general]$ sudo stap -p4 helloworld.stp
> parse error: command line argument index 1 out of range [1-0]
>         at: operator '' at /usr/share/systemtap/tapset/argv.stp:15:29
>      source:       %( $# >= 1 %? argv[1]=@1 %)
>                                          ^
> parse error: command line argument index 2 out of range [1-0]
>         at: operator '' at /usr/share/systemtap/tapset/argv.stp:16:29
>      source:       %( $# >= 2 %? argv[2]=@2 %)
>
> ..... lots more of the same kind of thing
>
> The verbose option doesn't help any.  I'm just getting my feet wet with SystemTap, so maybe this is something simple I'm missing.  Any idea what might be causing this?

After posting the above message back in February, I got some feedback from David
S and Frank E.  I tried building/installing from source, and that worked for me,
so I just did my development with that instead of the Fedora systemtap RPM.
Today, I went back to this same Fedora 11 G5 box and, having forgotten what I
ran into back in Feb, I tried again to use systemtap from the rpm and got the
same results.  Is this a ppc-only issue?  Systemtap works OK on F11 for other
architectures?

I have the following packages installed:
	systemtap-0.9.9-3.fc11.ppc
	kernel-2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.ppc64
	kernel-debuginfo-common-2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.ppc64
	kernel-devel-2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.ppc64
	kernel-debuginfo-2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.ppc64

Does anyone have any other ideas what might be causing this problem?

Thanks.
-Maynard

> Thanks.
> -Maynard

* Re: SystemTap on Fedora 11
@ 2009-09-11 14:15   ` David Smith
From: David Smith @ 2009-09-11 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maynard Johnson; +Cc: systemtap

On 09/10/2009 12:54 PM, Maynard Johnson wrote:
> Maynard Johnson wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I plan on doing some systemtap development on a Fedora 11 G5 box.
>> Started out by just installing the F11 systemtap rpm and tried the
>> HelloWorld example from /usr/share/doc/systemtap-0.8/examples/general,
>> but I get a bunch of error messages, as follows:
>>
>> [ppcteam@localhost general]$ sudo stap -p4 helloworld.stp
>> parse error: command line argument index 1 out of range [1-0]
>>         at: operator '' at /usr/share/systemtap/tapset/argv.stp:15:29
>>      source:       %( $# >= 1 %? argv[1]=@1 %)
>>                                          ^
>> parse error: command line argument index 2 out of range [1-0]
>>         at: operator '' at /usr/share/systemtap/tapset/argv.stp:16:29
>>      source:       %( $# >= 2 %? argv[2]=@2 %)
>>
>> ..... lots more of the same kind of thing
>>
>> The verbose option doesn't help any.  I'm just getting my feet wet
>> with SystemTap, so maybe this is something simple I'm missing.  Any
>> idea what might be causing this?
>
> After posting the above message back in February, I got some feedback
> from David S and Frank E.  I tried building/installing from source, and
> that worked for me, so I just did my development with that instead of
> the Fedora systemtap RPM. Today, I went back to this same Fedora 11 G5
> box and, having forgotten what I ran into back in Feb, I tried again to
> use systemtap from the rpm and got the same results.  Is this a ppc-only
> issue?  Systemtap works OK on F11 for other architectures?
>
> I have the following packages installed:
>     systemtap-0.9.9-3.fc11.ppc
>     kernel-2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.ppc64
>     kernel-debuginfo-common-2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.ppc64
>     kernel-devel-2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.ppc64
>     kernel-debuginfo-2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.ppc64
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas what might be causing this problem?

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a ppc box running fedora, so I
can't check this out myself.

Note that you'll need the 'systemtap-runtime' rpm to actually run a
script.  But, if you are still getting the same parse errors, that isn't
the problem.

Are you getting the exact same errors?

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com

* Re: SystemTap on Fedora 11
@ 2009-09-11 14:33   ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2009-09-11 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maynard Johnson; +Cc: systemtap

Maynard Johnson <maynardj@us.ibm.com> writes:

> [...]  I went back to this same Fedora 11 G5 box and, having
> forgotten what I ran into back in Feb, I tried again to use
> systemtap from the rpm and got the same results.  [...]

I've reproduced this on my little ppc box, so it's not just in
your imagination. :-)  PR10626.

- FChE