public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-10 17:32 Bill Macon
From: Bill Macon @ 2003-06-10 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elijahmeeks, xconq7

>I've posted the full download for Xconq here:
>http://castironlife.sourceforge.net/xconq.zip

Excellent!  I assume this includes all the latest updates?  For those of us
who are CVS-illiterate (I've tried!) and have been waiting for a new full
download, this is very useful.

Any chance of maintaining a current patch and binaries at either sourceforge
or redhat or both?  The xconq homepage should have a better download
directory with EVERYTHING a player needs, or at least links.  As it is, it's
a challenge for us Windows users.  (Yeah, yeah, just one more reason to hate
Microsoft.)

Thanks!

* Re: Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-11  3:17 ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-06-11  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Macon; +Cc: xconq7

>>I've posted the full download for Xconq here:
>>http://castironlife.sourceforge.net/xconq.zip
>

>Excellent!  I assume this includes all the latest updates?  For those of us
>who are CVS-illiterate (I've tried!) and have been waiting for a new full
>download, this is very useful.
>
>Any chance of maintaining a current patch and binaries at either sourceforge
>or redhat or both?  The xconq homepage should have a better download
>directory with EVERYTHING a player needs, or at least links.  As it is, it's
>a challenge for us Windows users.  (Yeah, yeah, just one more reason to hate
>Microsoft.)

I've been holding off on full distributions since I didn't want an
incomplete and buggy version to be widely distributed. Most bugs have now
been fixed (I think) but some stuff still remains to be done before we can
make a new release. In particular, the documentation is still severely out
of date.

However, up-to-date binaries are always available on my home page:

http://w1.694.telia.com/~u69400018/

I'll put up a link on the xconq page so that people can find it easier.

Hans

* Re: Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-11 15:53 ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2003-06-11 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Macon, xconq7

I'll try to keep this updated, Hans is real good about
posting the latest binaries on the link I had.  I've
just been told that ActiveTCL doesn't have TCL8.3 for
download, so I need to update xconq.zip.  For those of
you who can't wait for the update, it should be pretty
easy:

Download xconq.zip from castironlife.sf.net

Download ActiveTCL 8.4.3.0

Unzip xconq.zip

Install ActiveTCL 8.4.3.0

Replace the tcl83.dll and tk83.dll files in the xconq
root directory with tcl84.dll and tk84.dll files from
the ActiveTCL root directory.  That should do the
trick, though I haven't had the chance to do this
myself (I'm still running 8.3).

If anyone has any problems, feel free to E-mail me.

Elijah

--- Bill Macon <pzgndr@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I've posted the full download for Xconq here:
> >http://castironlife.sourceforge.net/xconq.zip
>

> Excellent!  I assume this includes all the latest
> updates?  For those of us
> who are CVS-illiterate (I've tried!) and have been
> waiting for a new full
> download, this is very useful.
>
> Any chance of maintaining a current patch and
> binaries at either sourceforge
> or redhat or both?  The xconq homepage should have a
> better download
> directory with EVERYTHING a player needs, or at
> least links.  As it is, it's
> a challenge for us Windows users.  (Yeah, yeah, just
> one more reason to hate
> Microsoft.)
>
> Thanks!

http://calendar.yahoo.com

* Re: Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-11 17:44   ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2003-06-11 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> I've been holding off on full distributions since I didn't want an
> incomplete and buggy version to be widely distributed.

Well, I'd go more with "release early and often" (
http://www.openresources.com/documents/cathedral-bazaar/node4.html ),
especially now that the bugs in the networking code are fixed.

> In particular, the documentation is still severely out of date.

Well, is there any chance of someone working on this in the near
future?  If not, better just to put a disclaimer at the top (or in the
relevant parts) and go with that.

> http://w1.694.telia.com/~u69400018/
> I'll put up a link on the xconq page so that people can find it easier.

I've put a link in the "links" sections.  I suppose it also should be
under downloads...

* Re: Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-12 17:54     ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-06-12 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: xconq7

>> I've been holding off on full distributions since I didn't want an
>> incomplete and buggy version to be widely distributed.
>
>Well, I'd go more with "release early and often" (
>http://www.openresources.com/documents/cathedral-bazaar/node4.html ),
>especially now that the bugs in the networking code are fixed.

I've been planning to put snapshots on the sourceware ftp site, like Stan
used to do before a new release. That would help the final debugging and
perhaps trigger a little more user feedback than I usually get.

I'm rather optimistic about the time schedule since xconq itself is in a
good shape now. I have also completed the bug fixes and improvements to
imfapp. I've now started to look over the game modules, which has not been
done for ages.

Hans

* RE: Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-29 15:03   ` Erik Jessen
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Erik Jessen @ 2003-06-29 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Elijah Meeks', 'Bill Macon', xconq7

Elijah,
I had an old Xconq installed; I deleted it (and TCL 8.3),
And did the following:
1. download xconq.zip from:
http://castironlife.sourceforge.net/xconq.zip

2.  download ActiveTCL(8.3.5.0) from
http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/

3. unzip xconq.zip into c:\e1
4. install ActiveTCL into c:\TCL
5. deleted the tcl83.dll and tk83.dll files in c:\e1\xconq.
6. copied the tcl84.dll and tk84.dll files into c:\e1\xconq.
7. tried to run c:\e1\xconq\WXCONQTCL.EXE
	this reported it couldn't find tcl83.dll and tk83.dll

What should I do?
I don't have the Tcl/Tk 8.3 install around any more; I had to delete it
to install the 8.4 release.

Erik

I'll try to keep this updated, Hans is real good about
posting the latest binaries on the link I had.  I've
just been told that ActiveTCL doesn't have TCL8.3 for
download, so I need to update xconq.zip.  For those of
you who can't wait for the update, it should be pretty
easy:

Download xconq.zip from castironlife.sf.net

Download ActiveTCL 8.4.3.0

Unzip xconq.zip

Install ActiveTCL 8.4.3.0

Replace the tcl83.dll and tk83.dll files in the xconq
root directory with tcl84.dll and tk84.dll files from
the ActiveTCL root directory.  That should do the
trick, though I haven't had the chance to do this
myself (I'm still running 8.3).

If anyone has any problems, feel free to E-mail me.

Elijah

--- Bill Macon <pzgndr@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I've posted the full download for Xconq here:
> >http://castironlife.sourceforge.net/xconq.zip
>

> Excellent!  I assume this includes all the latest
> updates?  For those of us
> who are CVS-illiterate (I've tried!) and have been
> waiting for a new full
> download, this is very useful.
>
> Any chance of maintaining a current patch and
> binaries at either sourceforge
> or redhat or both?  The xconq homepage should have a
> better download
> directory with EVERYTHING a player needs, or at
> least links.  As it is, it's
> a challenge for us Windows users.  (Yeah, yeah, just
> one more reason to hate
> Microsoft.)
>
> Thanks!

http://calendar.yahoo.com

* RE: Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-29 15:03     ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-06-29 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Jessen; +Cc: xconq7

>What should I do?
>I don't have the Tcl/Tk 8.3 install around any more; I had to delete it
>to install the 8.4 release.

Unfortunately, I built these binaries for Tcl/Tk 8.3, so they will not work
with 8.4 (see my earlier post on this subject). TclTk 8.3 is still
available in the ActiveState ftp directory even if they no longer provide a
direct link on their download page. Just go to:

http://downloads.activestate.com/ActiveTcl/

and you will find 8.3 in one of the subdirectories.

Hans

* RE: Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-29 15:06     ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-06-29 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Jessen; +Cc: xconq7

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Erik Jessen wrote:

> 5. deleted the tcl83.dll and tk83.dll files in c:\e1\xconq.

I would have backed up, rather than deleted.

> 6. copied the tcl84.dll and tk84.dll files into c:\e1\xconq.
> 7. tried to run c:\e1\xconq\WXCONQTCL.EXE
> 	this reported it couldn't find tcl83.dll and tk83.dll

The Windows Xconq binary is still expecting DLL's named tcl83.dll and tk83.dll,
most likely. Why don't you try renaming tcl84.dll to tcl83.dll, and likewise
for tk84.dll? Xconq still may get confused for other reasons, but it doesn't
hurt to try....

  Hope that helps,
	Eric

* RE: Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-29 15:06       ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-06-29 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: xconq7

>The Windows Xconq binary is still expecting DLL's named tcl83.dll and
>tk83.dll,
>most likely. Why don't you try renaming tcl84.dll to tcl83.dll, and likewise
>for tk84.dll? Xconq still may get confused for other reasons, but it doesn't
>hurt to try....

It won't work. Somebody already tried that. You need TclTk 8.3.

Hans

* RE: Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-29 15:17     ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2003-06-29 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Jessen, 'Bill Macon', xconq7

Erik,

Last Hans mentioned, he hadn't compiled xconq with TCL
8.4, so this might not work.  There's a zip at

http://castironlife.sourceforge.net/tcl8384.zip

It includes the dlls for 8.3 and 8.4.  As it stands,
I'm running ActiveTCL 8.4 and Xconq works fine, but
I've got tcl83.dll, tk83.dll, tcl84.dll and tk84.dll
in my xconq directory.  I would assume that for anyone
running 8.4, putting all these dlls in your main xconq
directory might work for them, too, because I'd
uninstalled 8.3, as well.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

* RE: Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-29 16:55         ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2003-06-29 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ronne; +Cc: xconq7

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> >The Windows Xconq binary is still expecting DLL's named tcl83.dll and
> >tk83.dll,
> >most likely. Why don't you try renaming tcl84.dll to tcl83.dll, and likewise
> >for tk84.dll? Xconq still may get confused for other reasons, but it doesn't
> >hurt to try....
>
> It won't work. Somebody already tried that. You need TclTk 8.3.

OK. Doesn't really surprise me.
Do you know if that person tried hacking the version number stored in the DLL
itself?

* RE: Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-30  5:16           ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2003-06-30  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: xconq7

>On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:
>
>> >The Windows Xconq binary is still expecting DLL's named tcl83.dll and
>> >tk83.dll,
>> >most likely. Why don't you try renaming tcl84.dll to tcl83.dll, and
>>likewise
>> >for tk84.dll? Xconq still may get confused for other reasons, but it
>>doesn't
>> >hurt to try....
>>
>> It won't work. Somebody already tried that. You need TclTk 8.3.
>
>OK. Doesn't really surprise me.
>Do you know if that person tried hacking the version number stored in the DLL
>itself?

I have no idea. It probably won't work either, since 8.3 and 8.4 are not
source compatible. I will provide 8.4-compatible binaries with the first
pre-release. Meanwhile, the tcltk8.3 dll's are available, as I mentioned,
for those who want to use the old binaries.

Hans

* Downloading Xconq
@ 2003-06-10 17:08 ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2003-06-10 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

I've posted the full download for Xconq here:

http://castironlife.sourceforge.net/xconq.zip

You still need to download ActiveTCL(8.3.5.0):

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/

The latest binaries can be found here:

http://w1.694.telia.com/~u69400018/

That should be relatively painless.