public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* New Action: change-type
@ 2004-01-07  2:40 Eric McDonald
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-01-07  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Hello fellow Xconquerors,

  Hans and I recently added support for the change-type action in
all Xconq interfaces. If a unit can be changed into a unit of a
different type, you will be able to press the 'c' key and
have that change come about. In the Tcl/Tk interface, the
"Change Type" menu item in the "Play" menu will also be enabled if
a unit can change type and disabled if the unit cannot change
type.

  Currently, Xconq only allows type changes to be done manually,
meaning you must use a command for them to occur. Furthermore, the
changes can only occur if the unit has sufficient materials and
ACP (as specified by the game designer).
  I have plans to extend Xconq to allow automatic type changes
upon such triggers as a unit reaching a certain size or gaining
sufficient amounts of one or more materials.

  Anyway, I hope that game designers will find this mechanism
useful to provide more interesting game play. I see that Advances,
Space Civ, and Specula already have some support for using
change-type in them. Bellum Aeternum will soon.

  Have fun,
    Eric

* RE: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-11 16:48 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-01-11 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> How many people use VT100 any more?

You'd be surprised.  I do the maintenance at a company that provides a
number of shell accounts to customers.  The users typically fall into
one or more of the following groups:

1.  Sophisticated users / designers who want a decent UNIX-like
environment with fairly up-to-date tools without having to maintain it
or handle the updating themselves;

2.  Users who are blind and have all output redirected through either a
reader box or a Braille hand reader;

3.  Users who are opposed to the upgrade cycle and who (often for
philosophical as well as financial reasons) have chosen to freeze their
hardware at a certain level that handles their own requirements (the
C128 is popular, but there are other makes & models  that are also
used);

4.  Sophisticated users who choose to route all their e-mail through a
system including combinations of things like Procmail, SpamAssassin,
JunkFilter, TMDA, Pine, Mutt, etc. in order to largely sidestep the
issues of spam and virii that so plague the modern world.

We maintain a bunch of games on the system, and I'd have to say that
Cconq (the VT100 version of Xconq) remains one of the most popular,
right up there with NetHack and the various IF titles.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* RE: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-11 16:52 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-01-11 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> I really appreciate you doing the packed Boolean tables; it makes a big
> difference to people with less memory.  (maybe we should think about
> Xconq on PalmPilot or Cellphones?   Games on those things seem pretty
> popular  ;>  )

Actually porting Cconq to PalmPilots, Newtons, Psions, Nokia GEOS
units, etc. may not be that awful.  The biggest issue is probably
getting the build kit / SDKs / etc. for each; I don't think all of them
offer free development environments (although some definitely do).  Of
course, Cconq itself can't network with a proper Xconq game at the
moment, so that might limit the usefulness of such ports.

* RE: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-11 18:10 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-01-11 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Thanks!  I know people who do ASCII-only for email, etc. because they
> either have a slow connection, or want to avoid viruses.  I'd expected
> that for playing Xconq, they'd have to have newer hardware (and/or a
> fast connection) to play Xconq, simply because of RAM/CPU
> considerations.

Actually, as long as the host machine is beefy enough, the people
connected can play Cconq with much lesser clients.  Although I've not
tried it myself (now that I've said it, you know I have to!) I'm pretty
sure it's possible to play Cconq on a remote server while connected
only with a 56K modem.  Connecting from an old SLC via ethernet should
be blinding by comparison...

* RE: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-11 18:12 Eric W. Brown
From: Eric W. Brown @ 2004-01-11 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> I'm pretty sure it's possible to play Cconq on a remote server while
> connected only with a 56K modem.

Oops, meant to say "it's possible to play Cconq on a remote server with
a C128 connected only with a 56K modem."

* RE: HW requirements
@ 2004-01-13 15:59 Eric W. Brown
From: Eric W. Brown @ 2004-01-13 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Can the serial port on Commodore 128 even keep up with a 56K
> modem?

The misleading (but honest answer) is "not for long".  It (the whole
system including serial port and software emulated UART) can handle up
to 9600 bps without too much trouble (the C64 only up to a little over
2400 bps) but not the full bandwidth of what a modern modem can
deliver.

The more accurate answer however is "it doesn't have to".  Virtually
everyone who's still using a C128 (or C64 for that matter) these days
connect not through the native serial port, but rather through a UART
cartridge.  There were at least three such cartridges on the market for
fairly low money (they've always tended to be cheaper than the modems
themselves), but competent hardware hackers have also been known to
build them using freely available plans (do a search for "DataPump" or
"DataPump Plus" in conjunction with "C128" or "C64", and I'm sure
you'll be able to find a copy somewhere -- there used to be a bevy of
FTP sites that made it available for anonymous download).

> And since I feel a wave of nostalgia coming on, __I wonder how
> easy/hard it would be to make Cconq into a BBS "door"....

That's an interesting question.  If the BBS were also to support a web
front end, it could make for a unique Xconq experience...