public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Elijah Meeks <elijahmeeks@yahoo.com>
To: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>,
	Lincoln Peters <sampln@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: Xconq list <xconq7@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: SDL Interface Development
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 06:34:00 -0000	[thread overview]

There are only two worries I'd have with this move,
both of which are posed, I acknowledge, from a
position of relative ignorance:

1.  We'll lose all the work done in SDL, right?  It
seems that ParaGUI is less work than writing
everything from scratch, so maybe this isn't too big a
deal.

2.  Forcing the average user to load a bunch of
external programs.  It took me awhile to get
comfortable with open-source software, coming from a
Win32 background.  Loading TCL/TK, in the case of
XConq, or GTK in the case of Gimp, while pretty
standard fare for a Linux user, is very intimidating
for someone used to loading a single piece of software
to run on Windows.  So if it can all be packaged as a
single install and be relatively seemless, this isn't
a big deal, but otherwise, it'll be an added hurdle
for an audience that is notable hurdle-adverse.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail