public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* New Game, Some Little Bugs
@ 2004-09-21  0:48 Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-09-21  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Arena was just to show item-units, but as I fiddled
with it, I realized there was some potential for a fun
game.  Attached are the various files for battles.g,
which is based on the old Star Fleet Battles
boardgame.  Occupant units in the game are Phaser
Banks, Shields, that kind of thing.  There's only an
Enterprise class ship, so far, because I ran into a
couple little problems and would love some help:

1.  The shields don't regenerate.  Shield and Damaged
Shield units have hp-recovery of, respectively, 10 and
5, but it doesn't seem to take.  It's not related to
being occupants, they don't heal outside of the unit,
either.  I don't get it.

2.  Units won't auto-upgrade as occupants.  I remember
discussing this earlier and thought Eric fixed this,
so maybe I haven't properly tagged them.  It's too
bad, because there's a rather novel repair system in
place that looks like it'll make for an interesting
game.

I'll send the package to Eric, hopefully he can post
it when he gets a chance.  If anyone wants me to send
it to them, let me know.

Thanks guys,
Elijah

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

* Re: New Game, Some Little Bugs
@ 2004-09-21  1:10 ` Lincoln Peters
From: Lincoln Peters @ 2004-09-21  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah Meeks; +Cc: Xconq list

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 17:43, Elijah Meeks wrote:
> 1.  The shields don't regenerate.  Shield and Damaged
> Shield units have hp-recovery of, respectively, 10 and
> 5, but it doesn't seem to take.  It's not related to
> being occupants, they don't heal outside of the unit,
> either.  I don't get it.

Try settings them to 10.00 and 5.00, respectively.  If you don't
represent the numbers as floating-point values, they are assumed to
represent 1/100 of a hitpoint each.  Thus, shields will regenerate
roughly 1 hitpoint per 10 turns and damaged shields will regenerate
roughly 1 hitpoint per 20 turns (it's not exact because decimal values
are treated as probability of a whole hitpoint being regenerated).

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>

Tonight you will pay the wages of sin; Don't forget to leave a tip.

* Re: New Game, Some Little Bugs
@ 2004-09-21  1:44   ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-09-21  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lincoln Peters; +Cc: Xconq list

> Try settings them to 10.00 and 5.00, respectively.
> If you don't
> represent the numbers as floating-point values, they
> are assumed to
> represent 1/100 of a hitpoint each.  Thus, shields
> will regenerate
> roughly 1 hitpoint per 10 turns and damaged shields
> will regenerate
> roughly 1 hitpoint per 20 turns (it's not exact
> because decimal values
> are treated as probability of a whole hitpoint being
> regenerated).

Whoops--rookie mistake.  I went back and checked my
other games and it seems like I knew that then.
Thanks Lincoln.

http://vote.yahoo.com

* Re: New Game, Some Little Bugs
@ 2004-09-21  4:04 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-09-21  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah Meeks; +Cc: xconq7

Elijah Meeks wrote:

> 2.  Units won't auto-upgrade as occupants.  I remember
> discussing this earlier and thought Eric fixed this,
> so maybe I haven't properly tagged them.  It's too
> bad, because there's a rather novel repair system in
> place that looks like it'll make for an interesting
> game.

I'll look into it. But first, I think I need to look at the opinions and
morale stuff that Lincoln mentioned a while back ago. And before that, I
  would like to make a new tarball and Windows installer available,
since I think you guys could probably benefit from some of the mods I
made to researching advances (including the ability to have the AI
select research goals from weighted lists provided by the game designer,
and an 'advance-prcludes-advance' table).

Eric