public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* First Impressions
@ 2004-09-23 14:59 D. Cooper Stevenson
From: D. Cooper Stevenson @ 2004-09-23 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I bring good news: I've mastered pulling down data from the USGS and
creating workable GIS maps. I've posted a screenshot of my efforts so
far here:

  http://wiki.xconqgis.org/images/xconq_gis_query.png

Note:

  1) I have some smoothing and coloring, general "toning down" of the
detail, and overlaying the road system. I am, however, very optimistic
about the prospects for this. While he web image doesn't begin to do the
image justice, it's really a good thing(tm).

  2) I could have picked a more engaging area than beautiful downtown
Kalamath Falls, OR :)

It is worthy of note to recall that this is 100 per cent GIS data, no
artistry, no, "slight of hand." It's the "real deal" and it opens up
huge possibilities.

This data may be rendered in 3d by simply issuing just a few commands.

Given that I did this in three days, I'm excited when I think about the
next three months, or three years!

I think I'll have complete documentation up by the end of this weekend.
I have to tell you guys--this is really something!

I absolutely respect the viewpoint that at times too much detail can
detract from the strategic aspect of the game, let me just say that if I
can bring a degree of realism without detracting from the game's genre,
then you have to know that I sure will!

I hope you enjoy it!

-Coop

| Cooper Stevenson        | Em:  cooper@gencom.us            |
| GenCom                  | Ph:  541.924.9434                |
| "Working For IT"        | Www: http://www.gencom.us        |

* Re: First Impressions
@ 2004-09-24  4:54 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-09-24  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

D. Cooper Stevenson wrote:

> I bring good news: I've mastered pulling down data from the USGS and
> creating workable GIS maps. I've posted a screenshot of my efforts so
> far here:
>
>   http://wiki.xconqgis.org/images/xconq_gis_query.png

Looks like a good start.

But, as a note, as much as I like the PNG format myself, after you
"hexellate" the map and harvest the individual terrain images, they will
  need to be in GIF or IMF data format, as those are the only two
formats that Xconq presently supports. (It would be nice to use things
like libjpeg, libtiff, and whatnot to extend the support. Someday....)

> It is worthy of note to recall that this is 100 per cent GIS data, no
> artistry, no, "slight of hand." It's the "real deal" and it opens up
> huge possibilities.

Yes.

Eric