public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* New Source Tarball and Windows Installer
@ 2004-09-26 13:35 Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-09-26 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Hello Xconquerors,

   I have released a new installer for Windows and new source tarball.
They can be gotten at:
   http://xconq_hacker.home.comcast.net

Please keep in mind that this is a work in progress and that there are
some rough edges:
(1) Xconq will refuse to load the Opal game because of the way advances
are set up in it.
(2) Xconq will take quite a while to load the Civ2 game. This is because
it is doing some validation on the advances, and the way the validation
is currently done takes some time. I will attempt to decrease the time
used before the next release.

That said, what are the improvements?
(1) Most games now have a menu image associated with them. If you select
a game during game setup, you will likely notice that a cropped
screenshot of the game is displayed, instead of the generic Xconq logo.
(Thanks to Elijah for this improvement.)
(2) Matthew Skala's 50km scale map of Antarctica is showcased in the
Antarctica game.
(3) The Xconq games factory known as Elijah Meeks has produced not one,
but three (or four) new games. The basic game is known as Starfleet
Battles; it has three derivative games: Battle Tester, Kobayashi Maru,
and Wrath of Khan. These games are quite fun, and are one of the reasons
I ended announcing this release in the wee hours of the morning.
(4) I have added the concept of research goals to the sides. These are
used by the AI to guide it down various research paths so that it does
not merely research the advance that appears best to it at a given
moment, but considers advances more strategically.
(5) In conjunction with (4), I have added a new advance property,
'ai-next-goal'. If an advance is researched as a research goal and it is
completed, then a new reserach goal is selected from a weighted list
that can be supplied to 'ai-next-goal'. Game designers can use this to
give the AI nudges in the directions it should research first.
Example for Advances game:
   (add leatherworking ai-next-goal ((4 saddle) (4 horse) (2 elephant)
sledge navigation))
(6) Per Elijah's request (and borne of some necessity), I have
implemented an 'advance-precludes-advance' table. This allows game
designers to tell Xconq to "prune" a side's advances tree as certain
advances are researched. Example:
   (table advance-precludes-advance
     (life-magic death-magic true)
     (death-magic life-magic true)
   )
(7) Probably some other things, but I am now too tired to think clearly....

I still have not gotten around to taking care of any of the other bugs
or concerns that have been mentioned on the list over the past week or
two. I'll start tackling some of them next.

   Enjoy,
     Eric

* Re: New Source Tarball and Windows Installer
@ 2004-09-26 14:02 ` mskala
From: mskala @ 2004-09-26 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: xconq7

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Eric McDonald wrote:
>    I have released a new installer for Windows and new source tarball.
> They can be gotten at:
>    http://xconq_hacker.home.comcast.net

Will you be checking these into CVS?  Is CVS still a good way to stay
up to date at all?  I get the impression a lot of recent work (not
just yours) hasn't been going in there.
--
Matthew Skala
mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                    Embrace and defend.

* Re: New Source Tarball and Windows Installer
@ 2004-09-26 16:01   ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-09-26 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mskala; +Cc: xconq7

mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Eric McDonald wrote:
>
>>   I have released a new installer for Windows and new source tarball.
>>They can be gotten at:
>>   http://xconq_hacker.home.comcast.net
>
> Will you be checking these into CVS?  Is CVS still a good way to stay
> up to date at all?  I get the impression a lot of recent work (not
> just yours) hasn't been going in there.

This is a bit of a tricky issue. If all was well and good, then I would
have been checking in regularly during the past month. However, due to
an incident that occurred last month (and several minor ones before
then), I feel that I cannot guarantee the integrity of what I commit to
the CVS repository on 'sources.redhat.com'. This has led me to maintain
my own personal CVS repository. I know that this may be inconvenient to
some, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I hope that the situation can
be resolved on good terms in the near future, which is why I continue to
associate with the Xconq project. If not, then I suppose you will have
the option of checking my alternative sources (under a different
"banner") out of a public CVS repository somewhere else, sometime in the
future....

As for others not checking in things, there are only a few others who
have CVS write access, and of them, only Jim has shown vital signs in
the past month. I am not aware of anyone else, who has CVS write access,
maintaining a separate branch to the sources.

Eric