public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* [Offtopic] EsperantoConq
@ 2004-10-01  5:42 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-10-01  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

I suppose you could also say "Eksconq" -- proper Esperanto doesn't have
an "X" character.

> Agh, you ruined it for me! I had already guessed part of the list.
> But, not to sound ungrateful, I'll say thanks.

Don't worry; there are a few more.  Things like -ad, -ant, -at, -int,
-it, -ont, and -ot plus quite a few official (and some common
unofficial) suffixes exist to figure out, too.

>  (1) I have detected no repeated consonants or vowels thus far.

Scii esperanto estas bona.

* Re: [Offtopic] EsperantoConq
@ 2004-10-01  6:21 ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2004-10-01  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: feneric; +Cc: xconq7

> I suppose you could also say "Eksconq"

Jes, eble "ekskonk'", "ekskonko" aux "ikso-konko".  Laux mia vortaro
(PV), oni diras "iksoradioj" por "X-rays".

> Scii esperanto estas bona.

Bonan ekzemplon.  La vorto "scii" havas du silabojn.

* Re: [Offtopic] Ekskonk
@ 2004-10-01 18:17 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-10-01 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Feneric Brown; +Cc: xconq7

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Feneric Brown wrote:

> Don't worry; there are a few more.  Things like -ad, -ant, -at, -int,
> -it, -ont, and -ot plus quite a few official (and some common
> unofficial) suffixes exist to figure out, too.

Hmmm... I don't suppose Esperanto verbs have voice or mood, do
they?

> >  (1) I have detected no repeated consonants or vowels thus far.
> Scii esperanto estas bona.

"To know Esperanto is good."

Okay, legitimate counterexample, since I didn't qualify the
statement as applying to the roots only.

Eric

* Re: [Offtopic] EsperantoConq
@ 2004-10-02  4:45   ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-10-02  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: feneric, xconq7

Jim Kingdon wrote:
>>I suppose you could also say "Eksconq"
>

> Jes, eble "ekskonk'", "ekskonko" aux "ikso-konko".  Laux mia vortaro
> (PV), oni diras "iksoradioj" por "X-rays".

"Yes, possibly 'ekskonk', 'ekskonko' or 'ikso-konko'. ____ my ____ (PV),
one says 'iksoradioj' for 'X-rays'".

I wonder if "vortaro" is a derivative of "vorto", or something entirely
different.

>>Scii esperanto estas bona.
>
> Bonan ekzemplon.  La vorto "scii" havas du silabojn.

"Good example. The word 'scii' has two syllables."

Eric

* Occupant Capture
@ 2004-10-02 16:05     ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-10-02 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

Is there a particular setting necessary to allow
occupant capture when the transport is captured?  I've
set scuttle chance to 0% and the capture-chance for
the occupants at 100%, but the only thing that happens
is the transport is captured and its occupants all
vanish.

Thanks,

Elijah

Ahem,

Der settipakio alo necessitatio occupadio capturio gen
transporto capturiado?  Wo inputio del scuttlema ager
zed, del capturio possibilitadio total, keshi zhe solo
d'eventio ka tranporto capturada, occupanta den kaput.

Merci sven burro,

Elijadio

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

* Re: Occupant Capture
@ 2004-10-02 17:28       ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-10-02 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah Meeks; +Cc: xconq7

Elijah Meeks wrote:
> Is there a particular setting necessary to allow
> occupant capture when the transport is captured?  I've
> set scuttle chance to 0% and the capture-chance for
> the occupants at 100%, but the only thing that happens
> is the transport is captured and its occupants all
> vanish.

Sounds like it could be a bug. The transport isn't changing type when it
is captured, is it?

> Der settipakio alo necessitatio occupadio capturio gen
> transporto capturiado?  Wo inputio del scuttlema ager
> zed, del capturio possibilitadio total, keshi zhe solo
> d'eventio ka tranporto capturada, occupanta den kaput.

Maybe I am not fully awake yet, but what is the above language? Or is it
a Frankenstein of more than one language? At first glance, one might
think it is Italian, or possibly Portuguese, but it seems a bit off for
either one of those. Also, I did some testing of text pieces using
Altavista's babelfish (yes, I cheated) and they were confusing the heck
out of the translator, and I tried several different languages to
English, in each case. I even did a quick look at some Interlingua text,
but it does not seem to be, prima facie, that either. Maybe it is from
some other dead or dying contrived international language: Ido, Volpuk,
etc....

Also, your valedictory remark "merci sven burro" was interesting.
"burro"-> "donkey" -> "ass" (?)
"merci" is a French "thanks" (?)
What's the game; is this a big spoof, or am I overlooking something?

Eric

* Re: Occupant Capture
@ 2004-10-02 17:31         ` Elijah Meeks
From: Elijah Meeks @ 2004-10-02 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: xconq7

> Sounds like it could be a bug. The transport isn't
> changing type when it
> is captured, is it?

No change-type.  You can test it on the new battles.g
by attempting an attack from starship to starship.  By
rule, it'll only work if a) the target starship is
smaller and b) it has ko'd or destroyed shields, and
then only 20% of the time.  But when it does work, you
end up with a totally system-less ship.

> Maybe I am not fully awake yet, but what is the
> above language? Or is it
> a Frankenstein of more than one language? At first

Yeah, I was feeling left out of the esperanza.  It's a
little French, a little Pin-Yin Mandarin, some then a
hodge-podge of latinesque and cyrrilicish sounding
words.  I have no idea what 'merci sven burro' means.

@ 2004-10-03 15:59           ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2004-10-03 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elijahmeeks; +Cc: mcdonald, xconq7

> Yeah, I was feeling left out of the esperanza.  It's a
> little French, a little Pin-Yin Mandarin, some then a
> hodge-podge of latinesque and cyrrilicish sounding
> words.  I have no idea what 'merci sven burro' means.

Well done.  You had me going until Eric actually took up the
challenge.

I'd say start an esperanto-xconq mailing list if we thought the whole
thing would be anything other than a passing fad...

* Re: [Offtopic] EsperantoConq
@ 2004-10-01 18:27 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-10-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Jes, eble "ekskonk'", "ekskonko" aux "ikso-konko".  Laux mia vortaro
> (PV), oni diras "iksoradioj" por "X-rays".

True, I'd focused on the big "X" and overlooked the little "q".  That's
interesting with X-rays; I've personally always pronounced the "X" in
"X-rays" like the "ex" in "example", and Esperanto seems to universally
translate English "ex-" to "eks-".

* [Offtopic] EsperantoConq
@ 2004-10-01  2:57   ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-10-01  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: xconq7

Jim Kingdon wrote:
>>Esperanto appears to be a declined and conjugated language, like
>>Latin.
>

> Only a little bit.  There are only 2 cases (subject and object),
> compared with 6 (I think) for Latin, 4 for German.

Yes. Latin has Nominative (subject), Genitive (possessive), Dative
(to/from), Accusative (object), Ablative (prepositional, excluding the
Dative), and Vocative (direct address).

As a side note, the accusative can be used with 'ad' or 'a', in which
case the meaning is "into" rather than "to".

Vocative would be like: "Dico te Pyrrhe..." -> "I say [to you],
Pyrrhus..." (This is the beginning of a famous Latin pun (because the
whole sentence can be parsed two different ways, both of which have
perfectly valid semantics) in which a Roman author (I forgot whom) poked
fun of the Greek general Pyhrrus' "Pyrrhic victory" over the Romans).

> And there are only 3 tenses (past, present, future), compared with
> many more for romance languages.

What, no pluperfect?! :-)

> There is no gramatical gender.

Then there are three separate 3rd person singular personal pronouns, I
assume....

> Not sure where that comes from, but I have a vague recollection of
> other languages which form plurals by adding "y" (or "j", but it is
> the sound that would be spelled "y" in English).

That depends: "j" can also go to a breathing sound or a full "h". And
with Latin, it is a consonantal "i".

> Here is the list of endings:

Agh, you ruined it for me! I had already guessed part of the list. But,
not to sound ungrateful, I'll say thanks.

> There's always http://www.lernu.net/ (but that's only for people who
> read manuals - the Real Hacker(TM) will want to skip right to the
> grammar book written in Esperanto - http://purl.oclc.org/NET/pmeg )

Thanks.

>>Now we will have to see if any Klingon speakers want
>>representation as well.
>
> Klingon speakers do not *want* representation; Kling speakers *demand*
> representation.

:-)
I hear that they're not just confined to mental institutions and Star
Trek conventions anymore....

Eric