public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>
To: cstevens@gencom.us
Cc: xconq7@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: SDL Interface Development
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:26:00 -0000	[thread overview]

D. Cooper Stevenson wrote:

> Ideally the SDL GUI builder would compile the SDL code such that only libsdl
> were required for Xconq (save libpng, etc.) If the hacker cost of entry were
> a bit high, I think that's okay if we discipline ourselves, as you outlined,
> to provide Howto documentation to facilitate them. I am willing to commit to
> writing this documentation.

Excellent, thanks. I do not expect it to be too troublesome, since all
the packages in question are autoconffed, IIRC. And, for MinGW32
developers, I am willing to create installers that would drop
precompiled libs, headers, etc... into the appropriate places in their
existing MinGW32 hierarchy. Also, it is probably not necessary that we
upgrade every time a new version of a prereq is released, _only for
bugfixes which are relevant to the interface development.

> Oh, of course. Their will certainly be bumps. I think that getting some
> interfaces up that really look sharp-even if they are in development-could
> definitely attract quality developers. This irons out bugs quicker and the
> cycle repeats itself by attracting more developers.

'Twould be nice if this was the spark that finally ignited the developer
cycle.... Xconq is a fairly big project, and if you have a stack of
papers and text files like I do, which have feature ideas and known
bugs, it can seem like a long, weary road at times.

Eric