public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>
To: cstevens@gencom.us
Cc: xconq7@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: New Home for Xconq Project?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:52:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi Coop,

D. Cooper Stevenson wrote:
> What would happen if we went to SourceForge or Savannah for "eyballs" and
> pointed to the Xconq.org or RedHat site for a CVS backup?

I think that, in the case of Sourceforge, it would fit closer to their
[Sourceforge's] philosophy if we, at least, made files available for
download on their mirrors (via their File Release System). As far as CVS
goes, I don't know. I think we should try their CVS server first. If it
doesn't prove reliable, then we can use a CVS server elsewhere
(xconq.org, perhaps).

> It's trivial for me to mirror the xconq.org server with the source
> repository's server.

As long as it isn't against their policy and doesn't hog too much
bandwidth, I think it would be good to have a CVS mirror. When we get to
that point, I would say to go for it.

> Obviously, this isn't an "automatic failover" solution but would it provide a
> good compromise?

Well, this gives redundancy from an end user standpoint. As a developer,
if the main repository is inaccessible, then I am still stuck with
waiting for it to come back before I can commit changes. Any changes
committed to a "mirror repository" would have to be
synchronized/committed to the main server later. Even if such a thing is
a current technical possibility, it would seem that information
pertaining to the original committer, original commit date, original
commit messages, etc... would be lost.

   Regards,
     Eric