public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* New Xconq Prerelease
@ 2004-11-27  5:27 Eric McDonald
       [not found] ` <000601c4d4a4$862ae660$b1f94382@Rufus>
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-11-27  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7; +Cc: xconq-general

Hello Xconquerors,

A new prerelease of Xconq is available here:
   http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=124062

(Windows installer, source tarball, and RPM packages.)

Enjoy,
   Eric

P.S. If you are looking for a MacOS version, visit the
'xconq-unsupported' section of the abovementioned Web page.

* Re: [Xconq-general] Re: New Xconq Prerelease
       [not found] ` <000601c4d4a4$862ae660$b1f94382@Rufus>
@ 2004-11-27 23:33   ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-11-27 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Bringedal; +Cc: xconq-general, xconq7

Andreas Bringedal wrote:
> Currently downloading on my 56k modem...

Ouch. It's only 7.5 MB, though....

>One thing though.  For us computer illiterate people(of which there are
> more of than one might think) it's rather confusing to have a zillion download options.
> Would it be easily doably to highlight the
> playable download file among all the others uninteresting files(uninteresting for the pure player) in red or green?

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=124062&package_id=135573&release_id=285719

Is that better?

BTW, almost everything listed there is "playable". Some of it is
"playable" on Linux, and some of it must be compiled before it is
"playable". Windows isn't the only platform in the universe.

>Sure, even I
> managed to find the .exe win 32 bit file

Yes, I made sure it had "SETUP" in all uppercase letters for the
computer illiterate and other Windows users. ;-)

FYI, 39 of the 52 downloads in the previous file release were for the
Windows installer, and it did not have "SETUP" in all uppercase letters,
and it was not even the first download on the list.

>but I had to search through the rest of the non interesting stuff and it would be rather
> player friendly to have the player executable file highlighted.  I wouldn't be surprised it there are even greater degrees of
> computer illiterate people than me that couldn't be bothered to figure it out.

In the future, I'll just quote the URL for the new file release and not
for all the other Xconq-related package sections.

> Btw, great work. It's fun to lurk around when so much is happening.

Thanks. It is indeed an exciting time for Xconq development.

Eric

* Re: [Xconq-general] Re: New Xconq Prerelease
@ 2004-11-27 23:58     ` Andreas Bringedal
From: Andreas Bringedal @ 2004-11-27 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq-general, xconq7

>>One thing though.  For us computer illiterate people(of which there are
>> more of than one might think) it's rather confusing to have a zillion download options.
>> Would it be easily doably to highlight the
>> playable download file among all the others uninteresting files(uninteresting for the pure player) in red or green?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=124062&package_id=135573&release_id=285719
>
> Is that better?

Umm, not really.  Perhaps I should illustrate what I read when I see that page for the first time.   It looks something like this:

Xconq7.5gobblegobblegobble
Xconq7.5gobblegobblegobble size gobble gobble gobblewinexe

@ 2004-11-28  0:50       ` Andreas Bringedal
From: Andreas Bringedal @ 2004-11-28  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq-general, xconq7

>>>One thing though.  For us computer illiterate people(of which there are
>>> more of than one might think) it's rather confusing to have a zillion download options.  Would it be easily doably to highlight
>>> the
>>> playable download file among all the others uninteresting files(uninteresting for the pure player) in red or green?
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=124062&package_id=135573&release_id=285719
>>
>> Is that better?
>
> Umm, not really.  Perhaps I should illustrate what I read when I see that page for the first time.   It looks something like this:
>
> Xconq7.5gobblegobblegobble
> Xconq7.5gobblegobblegobble size gobble gobble gobblewinexe
> Xconq7.5gobblegobblegobble size gobble gobble gobblewinexe
> Xconq7.5gobblegobblegobble size gobble gobble gobblewinexe

Damn, the latest windows update has made my system very unstable.

Anyway, below is what I saw the first time.  I saw 25+ various downloads.  After looking closely I did find the windows version but
what I was hoping for was was a download page that were very easy to understand.

Xconq7.5gobblegobblegobble
Xconq7.5gobblegobblegobble size gobble gobble gobblewinexe
Xconq7.5gobblegobblegobble size gobble gobble gobblegobble
[...]

If it instead had been like this:
Xconq 7.5  game files
Windows version
Mac version
Xxx version

Xconq 7.5  development files
gobblegobblegobblegobblegobble

@ 2004-11-28 23:06         ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-11-28 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Bringedal; +Cc: xconq-general, xconq7

Andreas Bringedal wrote:

> After looking closely I did find the windows version but
> what I was hoping for was was a download page that were very easy to
> understand.

> If it instead had been like this:
> Xconq 7.5  game files
> Windows version
> Mac version
> Xxx version

Well, I could split the 'xconq' package section into new
'xconq-windows', 'xconq-rpms', and 'xconq-sources' package sections when
I do another release. This is more work for me, because I would have to
create 3 file releases instead of just 1. Also, Sourceforge appears to
sort package sections alphabetically, so your 'xconq-windows' package
section would not appear until near the end of all the "gobbles". Right
now, your Windows download appears at the _top_ above all the other
files; all that a Windows illiterate must do is see the "SETUP.exe". How
hard is that?

But, I agree that the download screen looks cluttered. Blame
Sourceforge; don't blame me. Why don't you submit a feature request to
the Sourceforge people?
   http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=1&atid=350001
Choose "Project: File Release System" from the "Category" menu on that page.

Just tell the Sourceforge people that you would like a big button on the
File Release System downloads page that says "Simple View". And, if
someone clicks on the "Simple View" button, it will display something in
the following format (with lots of white space and bigger letters):

   package-section-name
      file-release-name
         file1-name            (Size = 1.6MB)   (32-bit Windows Program)
         file2-name            (Size = 1.6MB)   (Source RPM)
         file3-name            (Size = 1.5MB)   (Gzipped Source)

I would suggest that you write "Simplified Downloads View" for the
"Summary" text field on their feature request page. You can put your
description (like the one I just gave you) in the "Detailed Description"
text field. As a technical note, you might also want to tell them that
you would like your view preference to be stored in a cookie, so that it
is remembered next time you visit to download a new file. When you are
finished filling in the "Detailed Description", just click the "SUBMIT"
button at the bottom of the page.

Eric

* Re: [Xconq-general] Re: New Xconq Prerelease
@ 2004-11-28 23:43           ` Andreas Bringedal
From: Andreas Bringedal @ 2004-11-28 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq-general, xconq7

>Right now, your Windows download appears at the _top_ above all the other files; all that a Windows illiterate must do is see the
>"SETUP.exe". How hard is that?

Not hard but I'm a bit gobble allergic.

> But, I agree that the download screen looks cluttered. Blame Sourceforge; don't blame me. Why don't you submit a feature request
> to the Sourceforge people?
>   http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=1&atid=350001

Good idea.  I'll look into it.

PS is there any plans for improving the gameplay mechanisms for Xconq?  I have some few problems with it.  The way Civilization
handles units is imo quite easier.

What if the relatively large window on the right had of the screen(that lists the unit types) were made into a city/transport view
of occupied units it would make it far easier to play I think.  I don't have a need for that window much and therefore it would be a
much better use for it the way I play(...).   Maybe when you're not viewing a unit then the current display of produced units could
be displayed?  Also if you have a special order to fire at a specific unit in a transport/city then it would be easy if the
transport/city content were displayed in that window and allowed to to click on the units there.  Then the microscopic display on
the mapboard could be removed which would clean up the map and play enormously. A number in the corner of a city equal to the number
of units in it would be enough to show the player where his units are, when he can click on the city and get the city overview in
the sidewindow.

Then there is the map movement.  Maybe I'm not doing it right but when I move the mouse around I get these tiny map moves each time
the mouse moves across the map border.  Could that be removed and replaced with around 8 arrow buttons(8 directions) which moves the
map window half a map window length per click?  A ninth centre button could centre on the unit and it could all be keyed to the
keypad.

It would also be nice to have the two pull down meny that's called 'Play' and 'More' to be called 'Unit Orders' or just 'Orders'
instead.  It would be far more intuitive. I believe civ 1 was such a huge success because the game was nearly entirely intuitive.

Well, it's easy to ask for features.  It hardly cost me any calories :-)

Cheers,
Andreas

* Re: [Xconq-general] Re: New Xconq Prerelease
@ 2004-11-30  6:12             ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-11-30  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Bringedal; +Cc: xconq-general, xconq7

Andreas Bringedal wrote:

> PS is there any plans for improving the gameplay mechanisms for Xconq?

Yes, plenty of plans. And things are being done. See all the previous
discussion about the SDL interface in the 'xconq7' mailing list
archives, in the 'xconq.org' forums, etc....

> What if the relatively large window on the right had of the screen(that
> lists the unit types) were made into a city/transport view of occupied
> units it would make it far easier to play I think.  I don't have a need
> for that window much and therefore it would be a much better use for it
> the way I play(...).

You are talking about the Tcl/Tk interface here. This does not apply to
all the Xconq interfaces in general.

I am developing on the SDL interface so that we can phase out the Tcl/Tk
interface. I agree that the unit types panel on the right hand of the
Tcl/Tk map window is wasted space. This is one of my quite numerous
complaints about that interface. This panel is not present in the SDL
interface. (If you want to see the SDL interface, choose the "Xconq
(Experimental)" option when you use the Xconq installer program. After
installation, go to "Start Menu | All Programs | Xconq | Xconq
(Experimental)". Please remember that the SDL interface is still in
development. There are not setup screens yet; even saving games does not
work yet.)

>Maybe when you're not viewing a unit then the
> current display of produced units could be displayed?

I am not sure what you mean.

>Also if you have
> a special order to fire at a specific unit in a transport/city then it
> would be easy if the transport/city content were displayed in that
> window and allowed to to click on the units there.

This feature request has already been entered:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1069858&group_id=124062&atid=698375

Also, this discussion has occurred on the 'xconq7' mailing list before.
See, for example:
   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xconq7/2004/msg01126.html

>A number in the corner of a city equal to the
> number of units in it would be enough to show the player where his units
> are, when he can click on the city and get the city overview in the
> sidewindow.

Putting a number in the corner of a transport is something that was done
in other TBS games such as Empire Master and Strategic Conquest, and it
was useful. I thought it was superior to Xconq's attempts to display
scaled-down views of every member of a stack.

Although I did not explicitly mention the number display in my occupant
view proposal (see above email thread on 'xconq7'), I believe that
indicating the number of units in a stack would be a good idea.

> Then there is the map movement.  Maybe I'm not doing it right but when I
> move the mouse around I get these tiny map moves each time the mouse
> moves across the map border.  Could that be removed and replaced with
> around 8 arrow buttons(8 directions) which moves the map window half a
> map window length per click?  A ninth centre button could centre on the
> unit and it could all be keyed to the keypad.

I agree that the tiny map movements (autoscrolling) is annoying. And so
do other people. Matthew Skala has proposed getting rid of this before.
The Tcl/Tk interface already has (disabled) support for scrollbars.
Since I am not interested in working on the Tcl/Tk interface, I will
leave that as an exercise for someone else to fix. However, in the SDL
interface, I plan on implementing map navigation via keyboard, i.e. what
you are suggesting.

> It would also be nice to have the two pull down meny that's called
> 'Play' and 'More' to be called 'Unit Orders' or just 'Orders' instead.
> It would be far more intuitive. I believe civ 1 was such a huge success
> because the game was nearly entirely intuitive.

That is an idea. And, I think it is a simple enough fix to the Tcl/Tk
interface, that I might do it, __if you submit a feature request:
Click on the "Submit New" button near the top of the window, and fill
out the fields.

Eric