public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>
To: Lincoln Peters <sampln@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: xconq-developers@lists.sourceforge.net,
	 xconq7 <xconq7@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: New Feature: Overwatch
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:31:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Lincoln Peters wrote:

> This sounds like exactly what I was looking for with towers in bolodd2.g
> and bolodd3.g (I wanted them to automatically fire at any enemy unit
> that came within their firing range).  And I imagine that this feature
> will prove valuable in many more games.

I anticipate that it will be showing up in some of Elijah's games, as he
is the one who put in the feature request at Sourceforge.

Of course, any mods to the BoloDD family or the long-awaited Knightmare
would be welcome too.

> What would happen if multiple enemy units are within the zone of
> overwatch?

Not to sound like Bill Clinton chatting with Ken Starr, but I would take
issue with the word "are". An overwatch firing is triggered by movement.
So, it is not a matter of an unit _being_ in a particular zone, but
rather an issue of an unit _moving_ into or within a particular zone. In
a hacked up version of 'vision.g', which is a derivative of Elijah's
'conquest.g', there were many units in the zone of overwatch (though
different cells) because the different sides started out within
relatively close proximity to each other's heavy phasers (the units I
setup to perform overwatch against ship types). The game proceeded
somewhat slowly in Tkconq because sometimes as many as 6 different heavy
phasers were responding to a ship's movement. But, it worked, and there
was certainly more than one unit in most ZOO's.

Eric