public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Lincoln Peters <sampln@sbcglobal.net>
To: Ed Hurst-Frost <edward@hurst-frost.net>
Cc: xconq7@sourceware.org,  xconq-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: border_slide compensation problem
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:14:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Ed Hurst-Frost wrote:
> This helps units with a move_range over 1, however it probably doesn't
> compensate for multiple slides between ox,oy and x,y. But I don't feel
> I understand border_slides enough yet to fix it completely.

Border sliding is a very awkward mechanism for movement, and I think the
general consensus now is that it never should have existed in the first
place.  There has to a better way to get the same results.

I'm also pretty sure that there are no games in the library that
actually support moving a unit more than one cell in a single action, so
I wouldn't be surprised if you found bugs there (Xconq has an
unfortunate history of being loaded with new features that don't get
tested until years later).

By the way, it looks like you're posting to the old site that was hosted
by Red Hat, which has not been updated for about two years (although the
mailing lists still function).  The Xconq project is now being hosted on
SourceForge:

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/xconq>

--
Lincoln Peters