public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: [Offtopic] Ekskonk
@ 2004-10-01 22:43 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-10-01 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Hmmm... I don't suppose Esperanto verbs have voice or mood, do
> they?

It has built in indicative, imperative / volative, and conditional
moods via suffixes.  Subjunctive mood has to be expressed through other
words.  Verbs can also be made passive via a particular suffix.

I was thinking more though of participles and (English-style) gerunds
when I made the earlier list...  I suppose I should add -u -us and
-igh.

P.S. to Jim, please feel free to correct me if you see any mistakes.
I'm hardly an expert.

* Re: [Offtopic] Ekskonk
@ 2004-10-01 18:17 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-10-01 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Feneric Brown; +Cc: xconq7

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Feneric Brown wrote:

> Don't worry; there are a few more.  Things like -ad, -ant, -at, -int,
> -it, -ont, and -ot plus quite a few official (and some common
> unofficial) suffixes exist to figure out, too.

Hmmm... I don't suppose Esperanto verbs have voice or mood, do
they?

> >  (1) I have detected no repeated consonants or vowels thus far.
> Scii esperanto estas bona.

"To know Esperanto is good."

Okay, legitimate counterexample, since I didn't qualify the
statement as applying to the roots only.

Eric