public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: I don't condone chain emails but ... [debunked]
@ 2008-06-06 18:14 Purplemath
From: Purplemath @ 2008-06-06 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: UKI_ENG_XPS_Dimension_Support, UKI_Support_SC,
	Western Digital Support, Will Brimley, xconq7, zitta novovic

Dear fellow recipient,

Today, you and I received the following, apparently as part of a "forward
to all" listing on which we both were listed:

  > Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations
  > have conditioned us to think that the cost of a
  > litre is CHEAP....

While it can be amusing to think of oneself as being privy to "secret" or
"vast right-wing" "conspiracies", etc, the laws of supply and demand are,
I'm afraid, fairly well documented and are not, in fact, "plots" of any
sort. I regret to inform that chain letters and other potentially-illegal
activities are unlikely to disprove, let alone overturn, these economic facts.

My personal experience has been that, before forwarding messages of this
sort to "everybody", it is often helpful to do a little research.
Widely-broadcast hoaxes are generally quite-thoroughly documented. In this
case

   Snopes ("the" urban-myth reference site)
   http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

   Truth or Fiction
   http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/f/fuelprotest.htm

   Investopedia: Why You Can't Influence Gas Prices
   http://investopedia.com/articles/economics/08/gas-price-emails.asp

As can be discerned from the above, this oil-boycott myth has been popping
up online -- usually in the late spring or early summer (that is, near the
beginning of the summer vacation / road-trip season) -- since at least the
year 2000.

If you have been buying petrol (gasoline) during that period, then you are
aware that the previous "campaigns" had no appreciable effect; logically,
it would seem unlikely that this year will produce any better result. In
particular, there is no "need" to foward the solicitation to everyone in
your "address book".

In general, you can learn more about how to combat chain letters on this
dedicated-purpose site:

   Break the Chain
   http://www.breakthechain.org/index.html

My best wishes to you all, and my apologies for any offense.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Stapel

It should be noted that sending "snail-mail" chain letters is often a
violation of national law:

   United States Postal Inspection Service
   http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/MailFraud/fraudschemes/sweepstakesfraud/ChainLetters.aspx

   United Stated Federal Trade Commission
   http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/chainalrt.shtm

   United Kingdom Royal Mail (see page 4)
   ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/rm/rmg/Suppliers_Information_Security_Schedule.pdf

And sending e-mail chain letters is usually a violation of the "Terms of
Use" for one's e-mail or Internet account. Check with your ISP or other
provider for specifics.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-06-06 18:14 UTC | newest]