"Brandon J. Van Every" writes: > From: Jakob Ilves [mailto:illvilja@yahoo.com] >> >> > designer / mediocre programmer write a Python script that >> > implements a >> > One Hex Combat Resolution system. With that sort of API tool, Xconq >> > doesn't have to be a game about hiding outside of cities you've just >> > taken over. >> >> Oh, yes, I know! Take the city with ONE tank... And don't leave >> any other units in it when the enemy is nearby. But cannot GDL be >> written such that unless you kill or route away all units of a >> certain type, you cannot capture the unit? Isn't there a >> "occupant-defend" or such? Or maybe that just means they counter >> attack and if they fail to slay the attacker the attacker then has >> a chance to capture the city ANYWAY? > > Maybe all of these things can be done in GDL already. Yes, "protection" applies to capture attempts. something vaguely like: (table protection (infantry city 0)) (table capture-chance (infantry city 100)) (table acp-to-capture (infantry city 1)) would make infantry capture cities 100% of the time, unless there's an infantry in the city, in which case they need to kill it first. > The question is, does anyone know they can do them? Yes. > Is it a fungible API? It's a declarative language, more akin to HTML than a real programming language. The fact that a game can be statically analyzed without having to solve the halting problem is a major win for AI writing and many other similar things. I think, at least, before you decide to throw out GDL you should try using it to design a game (or part of one) to at least get some feel for what's there, and what it does. > Is it OO, hiding details you don't want to deal with at present? Most of the tables have sensible defaults, and can be ignored. > I will be making a judgement this weekend, as I attempt to embed > Python into Xconq. Like others, I think replacing GDL with python would be a mistake. > Do game developers and game players have easy ways of switching to > whatever they prefer? Do different variants get played regularly? If > not, why not? Yes, and Yes. -- Eric E. Moore