public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* Re: [Offtopic] EsperantoConq
@ 2004-10-01 18:27 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-10-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

> Jes, eble "ekskonk'", "ekskonko" aux "ikso-konko".  Laux mia vortaro
> (PV), oni diras "iksoradioj" por "X-rays".

True, I'd focused on the big "X" and overlooked the little "q".  That's
interesting with X-rays; I've personally always pronounced the "X" in
"X-rays" like the "ex" in "example", and Esperanto seems to universally
translate English "ex-" to "eks-".

* Re: [Offtopic] EsperantoConq
@ 2004-10-02  4:45   ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-10-02  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: feneric, xconq7

Jim Kingdon wrote:
>>I suppose you could also say "Eksconq"
>

> Jes, eble "ekskonk'", "ekskonko" aux "ikso-konko".  Laux mia vortaro
> (PV), oni diras "iksoradioj" por "X-rays".

"Yes, possibly 'ekskonk', 'ekskonko' or 'ikso-konko'. ____ my ____ (PV),
one says 'iksoradioj' for 'X-rays'".

I wonder if "vortaro" is a derivative of "vorto", or something entirely
different.

>>Scii esperanto estas bona.
>
> Bonan ekzemplon.  La vorto "scii" havas du silabojn.

"Good example. The word 'scii' has two syllables."

Eric

* Re: [Offtopic] EsperantoConq
@ 2004-10-01  6:21 ` Jim Kingdon
From: Jim Kingdon @ 2004-10-01  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: feneric; +Cc: xconq7

> I suppose you could also say "Eksconq"

Jes, eble "ekskonk'", "ekskonko" aux "ikso-konko".  Laux mia vortaro
(PV), oni diras "iksoradioj" por "X-rays".

> Scii esperanto estas bona.

Bonan ekzemplon.  La vorto "scii" havas du silabojn.

* [Offtopic] EsperantoConq
@ 2004-10-01  5:42 Feneric Brown
From: Feneric Brown @ 2004-10-01  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

I suppose you could also say "Eksconq" -- proper Esperanto doesn't have
an "X" character.

> Agh, you ruined it for me! I had already guessed part of the list.
> But, not to sound ungrateful, I'll say thanks.

Don't worry; there are a few more.  Things like -ad, -ant, -at, -int,
-it, -ont, and -ot plus quite a few official (and some common
unofficial) suffixes exist to figure out, too.

>  (1) I have detected no repeated consonants or vowels thus far.

Scii esperanto estas bona.

* [Offtopic] EsperantoConq
@ 2004-10-01  2:57   ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-10-01  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Kingdon; +Cc: xconq7

Jim Kingdon wrote:
>>Esperanto appears to be a declined and conjugated language, like
>>Latin.
>

> Only a little bit.  There are only 2 cases (subject and object),
> compared with 6 (I think) for Latin, 4 for German.

Yes. Latin has Nominative (subject), Genitive (possessive), Dative
(to/from), Accusative (object), Ablative (prepositional, excluding the
Dative), and Vocative (direct address).

As a side note, the accusative can be used with 'ad' or 'a', in which
case the meaning is "into" rather than "to".

Vocative would be like: "Dico te Pyrrhe..." -> "I say [to you],
Pyrrhus..." (This is the beginning of a famous Latin pun (because the
whole sentence can be parsed two different ways, both of which have
perfectly valid semantics) in which a Roman author (I forgot whom) poked
fun of the Greek general Pyhrrus' "Pyrrhic victory" over the Romans).

> And there are only 3 tenses (past, present, future), compared with
> many more for romance languages.

What, no pluperfect?! :-)

> There is no gramatical gender.

Then there are three separate 3rd person singular personal pronouns, I
assume....

> Not sure where that comes from, but I have a vague recollection of
> other languages which form plurals by adding "y" (or "j", but it is
> the sound that would be spelled "y" in English).

That depends: "j" can also go to a breathing sound or a full "h". And
with Latin, it is a consonantal "i".

> Here is the list of endings:

Agh, you ruined it for me! I had already guessed part of the list. But,
not to sound ungrateful, I'll say thanks.

> There's always http://www.lernu.net/ (but that's only for people who
> read manuals - the Real Hacker(TM) will want to skip right to the
> grammar book written in Esperanto - http://purl.oclc.org/NET/pmeg )

Thanks.

>>Now we will have to see if any Klingon speakers want
>>representation as well.
>
> Klingon speakers do not *want* representation; Kling speakers *demand*
> representation.

:-)
I hear that they're not just confined to mental institutions and Star
Trek conventions anymore....

Eric